Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    survivorboi Posts: 431, Reputation: 9

Aug 26, 2009, 04:46 PM
    Is Middle College High School (Big Picture Learning) right for me?
    A group of representatives came to my school today and told us about Middle College High School. They told us all about how this is a new program (in my state) and that it helps students stay in school and get into a wanted college. This is what the benefits they said are:

2 Advisory groups of 15-16 students
    Individualized learning plans for all students with interest Based Projects and Mentorships.
    During grade 9-12 (I'm in grade 8 by the way), students typically attend school 3 days per week with 2 days of interested based advisory.

Instead of tests, students have 5 exhibitions per year, which are evaluated by teachers, parents/guardian, mentors, and peers.

Utilizes Big Picture philosophy.

Students have the opportunity to graduate with HS diploma as well as an Associate's degree or credit towards Bachelor's degree

So I thought that this is new as well as interesting. Mentorships, internships, and all that. So I got the form to filled out and I wanted to try.

At my school, I'm taking advanced classes (high school credit) or known as AP classes.

One day, my Algebra 1 teacher asked me that he heard I'm thinking about signing up for that program, he said that his opinion is that I should stay and go to high school as usual (The high school I'm aiming for is top 100 in the USA) because they will have more classes for my level. I said that the program have a test to assess me. He said that I will be way off their chart...

I guess he's saying that I will need much more challenge then they can give me? I do make very good grades and I'm one of the more active kids in that class.

Please give me any advice... Should I try this out or should I just stay and go to HS as usual.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2009, 04:59 PM

It sounds like a wonderful opportunity.

Wow ,you are really smart for someone in eighth grade.When you mentioned school previously,I thought you were in college.

I think making a pro and con list is always a good way to look at issues such as this.

A selling point for me would be interest Based Projects.It sounds like they are willing to forgo much of the normal academic routine that makes kids lose interest.

Wherever you go ,you will be successful,of that I have no doubt!
    survivorboi Posts: 431, Reputation: 9

Aug 26, 2009, 05:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    It sounds like a wonderful opportunity.

Wow ,you are really smart for someone in eighth grade.When you mentioned school previously,I thought you were in college.

I think making a pro and con list is always a good way to look at issues such as this.

A selling point for me would be interest Based Projects.It sounds like they are willing to forgo much of the normal academic routine that makes kids lose interest.

Wherever you go ,you will be successful,of that I have no doubt!
    Thanks Artlady =) So according to you, I should join? They have warned us that it will be unlike anything we've ever been through... They also said that after a month or 2 of trying, I can cancel if I like.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2009, 05:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by survivorboi View Post
    Thanks Artlady =) So according to you, I should join? They have warned us that it will be unlike anything we've ever been through...They also said that after a month or 2 of trying, I can cancel if I like.
    That sounds great.You have nothing to lose in that case and everything to gain.
    I think that a progressive program such as what you described is just what we need to keep kids interested and motivated to learn.
    The educational system really needs to get up to speed with the 21st century!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can I get into college with a online high school diploma? [ 11 Answers ]

I want to go to college but did not finish the 12th grade. Probably 1-2 credits shy. I am 29 now, married with a child! I want to go to college and get my life on track! Can I get into college with an online high school diploma? Which would you recommend? What is a life experience diploma?

Is is a poll for any middle school or high school kids about drugs? [ 6 Answers ]

What kind of drugs are being sold at your schools? How easy is it to get? Where are you from? This is a seriouse question I'm curiouse to no if it matters where you are from or if all schools are alike...

College admissions from a particular high school [ 2 Answers ]

How can I find out about the college admissions from a partciular city high schoo, broken down by ethnic group? E.g. which colleges have accepted Caucasian students from Northside Prep high school in the past two years?

Why do immigrant dropout of high school or college? [ 2 Answers ]

Why do immigrant dropout of high school or college?

High School for a Child with learning disabilities? [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a online school were my 27 year old daughter can get here High School Diploma?

View more questions Search