Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2009, 10:11 PM

Hmmm sorry I'm a bit late on this one :(

Darn my sleeping in!

Great suggestions anyway, Artsy hit the nail on the head saying she feels more secure in her crate.

Some dogs just don't like being left alone in a big space, even big dogs like Zoe can get anxious about it.

When we go out my little terrors are left in the kitchen/dining/lounge area with the rest of the house blocked off by a baby gate.
    If I leave anything (And I mean anything) on the dining room table you can guarantee it will be ripped to shreds when we get home.
    Darling Prada had figured out how to push a chair out and climb up :rolleyes:

Anyway, point is there is nothing wrong with crating.
    Mum has a HUGE crate for her great dane but the problem is, she paid a minor fortune for it because she has to transport it to dog shows.

I like the idea of making your own.
    My grandfather made me a crate for our Shih Tzu years ago, had wheels and everything and was collapsible, I will see if I can find the design for it, you would just have to adjust the measurements to suit.

Another alternative is an outside run...

Now I know people don't like their dogs being outside but sometimes they are better off.

You just need basically a child's cubby house (large one) and then build a wire run coming off it with shade cloth.
    If you can concrete the ground it would be ideal as when they do poop you can just scoop it up and then hose the ground.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2009, 10:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoeMarie View Post
    Are you serious Alty? You're awesome!!!! I did go to PetSmart today and found a cage bigger than the one we have. It's an XXL. I had no idea they came larger than XL. The only problem is that it's more than I can afford right now. I think building one might not be a bad idea. The size we need is 37W x 54D x 45H. Maybe I should check craigslist or something...

Alty, seriously, you're awesome. =) If you can give me ideas on how and what from I can probably build one.
    Does pet smart have a credit card ? Maybe make payments?

She may not like the new one,that's always a though as well.

All that money and she decides she doesn't like it.

If dogs could talk,it would be so much easier:)

If you get on on Craigs list and she smells another dog,that could be a problem.
    You never know with dogs .
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2009, 10:44 PM

Talking about craigslist and the needed dimensions made me think. Macaw cages are that size and are sold used for around 100. I have two, (with birds in them) that if turned on their side would house a great dane to perfection.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2009, 06:41 AM

hmm... all these ideas! Thanks guys! =) I have some thinking to do
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2009, 03:22 PM

OK, so I think I'm going to build something, but where do I start?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 28, 2009, 03:24 PM
    OK, so I think I'm going to build something, but where do I start?
    I can help you with that.

Measure Zoe, then let me know how much room you have, I'll draw up some plans and then we'll go from there.

All you'll need is someone that can wield a hammer and follow directions. ;)
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 28, 2009, 03:59 PM
    When Alty draws plans, I'll provide tips. I've built them before.
    Pets Expert

Aug 28, 2009, 04:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    When Alty draws plans, I'll provide tips. I've built them before.
    Maybe we should work on this together.

I'll meet you at the corner of 5th and 43rd, you bring the paper I'll bring the beer. ;)
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 28, 2009, 04:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Maybe we should work on this together.

I'll meet you at the corner of 5th and 43rd, you bring the paper I'll bring the beer. ;)
    Chicago or Toronto?
    Pets Expert

Aug 28, 2009, 04:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Chicago or Toronto?
    The Caribbean.

If we're going to do this we may as well make it fun. ;)
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 28, 2009, 04:15 PM
    It's 8th and 43rd

Cabana Cove Caribbean Grille - 2410 NW 43rd Street Gainesville, FL | Menu Wall
    Pets Expert

Aug 28, 2009, 04:23 PM
    Perfectionist! :rolleyes:
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 28, 2009, 04:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Perfectionist! :rolleyes:
    Got to keep up my certification, y'know. ;)
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2009, 05:03 PM

You guys crack me up. Can I meet up too? Zoe is still growing though, so I was going to go with the size of the crate that's recommended for a great dane.

54" deep, 37" wide and 45" high.

Does that sound OK?
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2009, 05:53 PM
    You guys crack me up. Can I meet up too? Zoe is still growing though, so I was going to go with the size of the crate that's recommended for a great dane.

Does that sound ok?
    So what is has been happening in the past few days? Is she still having the same problem?Or does it seem to be getting better as she becomes accustomed to more freedom?
    I'm just curious.She is so adorable!
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 28, 2009, 06:12 PM

Does that sound ok?
    Bring the pup. We'll play.
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2009, 08:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    So what is has been happening in the past few days? Is she still having the same problem?Or does it seem to be getting better as she becomes accustomed to more freedom?
    I'm just curious.She is so adorable!
    Well, because she seemed to be having real difficulties being outside of her cage I just let her go back in there. She's been in her cage the last couple days and has been fine. No whining or anything. Maybe she would do better if I just let her get used to it. I don't know. I just don't want to put her through more stress than necessary. And thank you, We think she's pretty darn cute too. ;)

And Alty, she loves to play ball. She tries to catch them in the air. =)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Going out of my mind! [ 3 Answers ]

Hey I need some help finding the name of a song I just don't know. I heard it awhile ago, it had something to do with "if you had to walk in their shoes", some one was a prostitute or a drug addict. I am not sure who sings this song or what the title is but I am sure it was a make singer. It had a...

Can't get her off my mind [ 5 Answers ]

Many of you have read this earlier in different strings but I can't get her off my mind. I met the most amazing woman 15 years ago but our lives were on different paths. There was a definite chemistry between us. However we never got together. Recently after a painful divorce for me and the...

In the mind of a MAn! [ 22 Answers ]

Hey, I met this guy online 3 weeks ago... On our first date we had amazing chemistry and things kind of went quick and we ended up sleeping together... From there dates have been back to back for the first week... He has introduced me to a few of his friends on the first week and we were passing...

How many pounds do I need to lose to lose 1.5 cm or .6 inches to my waist? [ 1 Answers ]

If it helps I'm 5 feet 10 inches, 141 pounds, my waistline is 32 inches, and my bodyfat percentage is 16%.

Is it all just in my mind? [ 1 Answers ]

I have always had a normal period. Dec my period was normal. Last month it only lasted 3 days compared to the 6 days it normally lasts.This month I'm spotting just like last month. I 've had home pregnancy and blood tests done but the results all come back negative. I have been pregnant before and...

View more questions Search