Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Scatterboo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2009, 12:51 PM
    HIPAA violation?
    My daughter requested and paid for a copy of her medical records from a hospital, and spoke to the medical records manager at least three times, of which the manager called her by her name. When she picked up and paid for her records, she found that she had mistakenly been given all the records of her older sister. There was confidential information in these records that the older sister did not want disclosed, this has caused some tension between the two girls.
    What should I do as the mother, seeing how some medical issues has strained a relationship. The hospital was notified and said they were "sorry". What if they had not been sisters, and even so it has become a big deal, unfortunately . What should I do. Thank you. CN
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Aug 26, 2009, 01:03 PM

I believe this would be a violation. HIPAA recommends that when your daughter picked up the records, she should have been asked to show a photo ID to prove her identity so they can compare the chart before it was given.

I suggest contacting the hospital administrator to complain. Don't be afraid to call or write to the CEO of the facility to complain.

I'm not sure they will do anything about it - but they should be made aware of the errors being made in the records department.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2009, 01:07 PM

You cannot do anything, whether you're the mom, aunt, or sister.

The daughter whose records were unintentionally released may have a case against the hospital.

While I realize it's not impossible, I'm curious as to how the hospital managed to do that. Were the records similar in nature - did your two daughters have a similar illness or procedure done at that hospital?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 9, 2009, 01:11 PM

While this is a HIPAA violation, the only thing that can be done is complain. You can report this to HIPAA who will investigate and may impose sanctions against the hospital.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hipaa violation [ 6 Answers ]

Discussing with another physician a clinical case in the nurse/doctors area without mentioning patient name, is it considered HIPAA violation? What if the same patient overhead it and recognized his/her case? Thank you for your attention Ale

Hipaa violation? [ 3 Answers ]

Is it a Hipaa violation to inform a customer at a pharmacy about the price of their medication, cash price before and after insurance if they ask? Note: the name of the medication was never spoken aloud.

Hipaa violation? [ 4 Answers ]

During a group casual meeting, medical information was disclosed to the group from an individual, is this a hipaa violation? Would this be considered a civil or criminal penalty?

HIPAA Violation? [ 3 Answers ]

My (former) dentist overcharged my credit card for a crown. The VISA department of my bank sent the dentist a 'chargeback inquiry' to determine if my claim was valid. In response, the dentist faxed my bank a "Family History Listing" which in addition to my payment history (which seems...

Hipaa violation [ 2 Answers ]

I have an ex-wife who is using the court system to constantly harass me. I was recently terminated by my employer while I was on medical disability. I am seeking legal council for that issue. Her latest stunt is to sopena my former employer to turn over all medical records. They already did this...

View more questions Search