Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2009, 10:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom View Post
    I think I know where they are getting there polling numbers from. The RNC sent out mailers to "poll" people on health care here is one of the questions. You guys are to much!!!!! FEAR FEAR and More FEAR!!!!!
    LOL spit, I love it when people accuse the GOP of fear-mongering. Just what the heck have Dems been doing? By the way, I don't put any stock in Dem or GOP polls and view the major polls with a skeptical eye as well. But, they don't look good for Obama or Obamacare right now.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2009, 11:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    I don't put any stock in Dem or GOP polls and view the major polls with a skeptical eye as well.
    Dude, the RNC sent this out.
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Aug 28, 2009, 11:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Uh, yeah, NK. That's what he was talking about. Please try to keep up.
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2009, 11:06 AM
    Dude, what part of I don't put any stock in Dem or GOP polls do you not understand?
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2009, 11:13 AM
    Well that's an easy way to sweep everything under the rug isn't it. Unfortunately I don't believe all the recipients of the mailer feel that way.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2009, 11:20 AM

Spit . Would love to see a link to that image posted.

If that is truly a GOP mailer I will send them a response.

Certainly no one here has used that as a part of their argument.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2009, 11:30 AM

It was an email forward to me. I'll see if I can track down a link for you Tom.
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2009, 11:38 AM
    Here Tom I found this link.

Think Progress Despite Steele Saying He's Not Trying To 'Scare' People, RNC Poll Says Health Bill May Deny Care To Republicans
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2009, 11:42 AM
    Well that's an easy way to sweep everything under the rug isn't it. Unfortunately I don't believe all the recipients of the mailer feel that way.
    You're just never satisfied are you?
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2009, 11:45 AM
    Other links to the issue:
    The Washington Independent Obtained: The RNC's Health Care Survey
    http://columbian.com/article/2009082...259961/-1/NEWS
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2009, 01:01 PM

What's funny still is you guys act as if the RNC is the only who EVER uses such devices. From your own link, NK:

It's standard practice to use such faux "surveys" to raise money for a variety of causes, said Portland pollster Mike Riley. "It's common, trying to stir the pot to see what kinds of issues get attention."

"Both parties do that," Riley said. "They are using some of the hot-button issues to see what activates the voters. It's politics as usual within the party faithful. No one that I know puts any credibility in these types of polls."

Riley recalled a recent fundraising "survey" sponsored by Democrats that attempted to link issues of child safety and gun ownership. One question asked whether it is important to keep children safe and to keep them away from guns. The implication, he said, was "that guns shouldn't be in homes where children are present."

A tip-off that a survey really is a fundraising tract, Riley said, is when questions cover more than one issue. "It's called a double-barreled question" and would not be used by a professional pollster, he said.

Portland pollster Bob Moore agreed.

"It's a fundraising appeal, is what it is," he said. "Everyone does it — Democrats, anti-tax groups, environmentalists. The audience that receives it has given to that organization at some point in time and is on the list to receive solicitations."

If such tactics "weren't effective, they wouldn't be using them," Moore said.
    It was a stupid and leading question and that is why I don't give any credence to such "surveys" from anyone, left, right or otherwise. But it's certainly no shock that it happens... what would be a shock is for someone in the media to actually pay attention to what the DNC has been doing.
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2009, 01:19 PM

I like where the RNC rep said it was inartfully worded. Is inartfully even a real word?
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2009, 01:29 PM

"Inartful" has become a politically popular word. Tom DeLay used it in the Schiavo case and Obama has used it a few times.

Obama Camp Disavows Last Year's 'Inartful' Statement on D.C. Gun Law

Obama calls Clark's remarks 'inartful'

Obama Dismisses Inartful FISA Statements

I think the RNC rep was taking a dig at Obama...
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2009, 01:45 PM

I just looked it up it was in the 1913 Webster Dictionary but was removed because it is very uncommon. Lawyers and Philosophers use it.
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Aug 28, 2009, 01:51 PM

Bak to the OP.

Earl is merely expressing the prevailing attitude of the dumb masses blindly following their Marxist leaders.

That attitude is briefly translated: "Sit down, and SHUT UP.
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2009, 01:54 PM
    Does the RNC even have a leader? Or is it Jesus?
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Aug 28, 2009, 02:05 PM
    Does the RNC even have a leader? Or is it Jesus?
    It's Rush Limbaugh, didn't you know? Or so Dizzy Dean and the Leftist crowd would have us believe.

Actually, at this point, I would argue that the Republicans are much better organized than the Dems at this moment. That's what's pissing off the Obamanites and why they are accusing the right of "astroturfing".

It's just that the organization is coming from the bottom up (tea parties, town hall meetings, even talk radio) rather than from the top down (party leaders). The Obama "machine" can't counter that right now.

Call it a bottom-up sort of organization. Our leaders are being found in the streets, not in the offices of DC politicians. (Perhaps that's why Palin is striking such a cchord with so many people... they see her as part of that bottom-up leadership, as opposed to McCain, who represents top-down leadership.

From a political-science perspective, it's really interesting to watch. I can't remember anything like it in my lifetime. It is different from even when the Reagan Revolution got started.

Any comments?

Elliot
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2009, 03:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine View Post
    Call it a bottom-up sort of organization.
    Any comments?
    Yea, it's more like corporatism. The corporations who are worried about their profits are the organizers and funders. And that leads to:
    Franklin D. Roosevelt in an April 29, 1938 message to Congress warned that the growth of private power could lead to fascism:

The first truth is that the liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic state itself. That, in its essence, is fascism—ownership of government by an individual, by a group, or by any other controlling private power.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2009, 02:58 AM

Elliot ; excellent comment ;one deserving it's own posting . In the Harvard Business Publication , Umair Haque argues that the left is losing the public policy debate because the right has adopted “5th generation warfare”.He says that the leaderlessness is a strength because it means that every group of conservative protesters can initiate and plan its own actions within the context of a shared narrative.
    Ten Rules for 5G Warfare - Umair Haque - HarvardBusiness.org

What he really means is that the left's methods, tried and true, relying on controlling the dialoge with the MSM and decapitation strikes on the right's leadership cannot be used when there is alternatives to the MSM narrative ;and the opposition is leaderless at the time. That explains their efforts for naming leaders for the right. They identify Palin ,or Limbaugh as the leader so they have a name to attack and demonize.

He proposes 10 ideas to counter this which I won't get into in detail because some of them ;like "Meta-Attack" are stupid (you have to attack not with “facts”, but with meta-information about how to value facts) .

What NK and others don't understand is that the same bottom up revolt being waged against the Obots is also being waged by the base against the Republican party. When the dust settles a leader from the base will emerge.

Getting back to Palin (and I don't care if she ever is a national candidate again) ;what she says in the national debate about health care speaks the same language as the plumber ,and the "rubes " of the country ,and they understand issues of life and death at least as well as ,if not better, than Harvard educated eggheads like Zeke Emanuel and Hague . By losing the tag of 'elected leader ,Palin liberated herself to speak the language the people understand.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2009, 05:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    I get it ;someone makes a blanket statement and when challenged the retreat is ....well I wasn't talking abut you ....just everyone else like you.
    No... I was talking about you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

President Sarah Palin [ 27 Answers ]

Hello: I predict that if health care goes down, which I define as not having a public option, Sarah Palin will be elected in 2012. You? excon

What Does Sarah Palin read? [ 69 Answers ]

So that hard hitting journalist Katie Couric is at it again with Palin this time she wanted to know What Does Sarah Palin read? Specifically... and Her answer well EVERYTHING ALL OF THEM!! Check out the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9go38MgZ4w8

Sarah Palin are Alaska for Vice President! [ 235 Answers ]

BWAH HA HA HA John McCain has truly lost his mind!

Sarah Palin Brief GMA Interview [ 73 Answers ]

This morning Good Morning America show brief skits of the Sarah Palin Interview airing tonight on 20/20. This interview show me that the inexperience issue is now out the window. Sarah Palin answers were so off course, the inteviewer had to stop and restate the question 3 - 4 time regarding...

View more questions Search