Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2009, 10:53 PM
    Cleaning a rabbits tail
    Another bunny question from me :o

I let Dora out for her run today and as she hopped away I noticed she has poop stuck to the underside of her tail.

I picked her up and laid her on her back and it appears she has sat in it and then gone and sat in the kitty litter so it is dried out.

I don't know how to get it off!?

It's to hard to pull off or use pet wipes.

I'm too scared to cut it away...

Help... :(
    Attached Images

Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 25, 2009, 11:27 PM

So much for the joke about the bear and the rabbit in the woods. ;)

Oreo has the same problem, she constantly gets poo stuck to her fur.

It's time for a bunny bath. Just put warm water (a little colder then what you would bathe in) in the sink and dip little Dora's bum in. Rub her bum with your hand. You may have to pull a little if she's not happy in the water, but most times, if she sits in it a while, the poo will loosen up and just come off.

A little bit of dish soap to clean her tushie, Vaughn standing by with a towel, a bit of drying and hop around time and she'll be clean as a whistle.

Most rabbits don't mind being in water, but, if this is her first bath, make sure you have a firm grip on her as she may try to jump out of your arms.

Oh, you may want to wear rubber gloves, but that's up to you. ;)
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2009, 12:17 AM

Thanks Alty, I knew you would save the day!

I will do that this afternoon!

She has never had a bath before so I'm not sure how she will react, I may end up with more scars or it could be fine haha

It's strange because it's never happened before, silly bunny.

Yeah anyway, sorry for being a pain, I figure it's always better to ask the best way to do it than end up learning the hard way!
    Pets Expert

Aug 28, 2009, 04:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Thanks Alty, I knew you would save the day!

I will do that this afternoon!

She has never had a bath before so I'm not sure how she will react, I may end up with more scars or it could be fine haha

It's strange because it's never happened before, silly bunny.

Yeah anyway, sorry for being a pain, I figure it's always better to ask the best way to do it than end up learning the hard way!
    Let me know how it goes.

Oreo is so used to it that she actually gets exited when she hears the water in the sink running. She likes to have her bathes, especially since it makes the dried on poo go away.

She even likes having her little bum rubbed. Silly bunny. ;)
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2009, 01:01 AM
    I forgot to update this thread! :eek:

I gave Dora her bunny bath :)

We have a ridiculously small bath tub (1/2 the size of a normal bath) so I filled that up with about an inch of warm water.

I then put Dora in... BIG MISTAKE!

Silly me didn't think about her slipping on the base of the bath :rolleyes:
    She panicked and I scooped her up and got soaked.

I THEN put a towel down in the bath under the water and she was fine.

The poop came away a lot easier than I thought, just a quick rub/tease and it was all gone.

I just let her run around in the bathroom with towels on the floor until she dried (figured she would slip and slide on the floorboards if we let her run in the lounge while she was wet!)

Anyway... update done.. thanks Alty!
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2009, 03:10 AM

We have a ridiculously small bath tub (1/2 the size of a normal bath) so I filled that up with about an inch of warm water.

The poop came away a lot easier than I thought, just a quick rub/tease and it was all gone.

I just let her run around in the bathroom with towels on the floor until she dried (figured she would slip and slide on the floorboards if we let her run in the lounge while she was wet!)

Did she hate it or did she just tolerate it or was she just excited about a new experience?
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2009, 03:36 AM

She just tolerated it... I had to do it by myself so I had to just put her in with all 4 feet on the bottom of the tub (with the towel on the bottom)

She straight away looked for a way to jump out but once she realised she was stuck there she was fine, just sat there while I washed her tail.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2009, 11:29 AM
    She just tolerated it... I had to do it by myself so I had to just put her in with all 4 feet on the bottom of the tub (with the towel on the bottom)

She straight away looked for a way to jump out but once she realised she was stuck there she was fine, just sat there while I washed her tail.
    She is very pretty,beautiful colors!
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2009, 12:01 PM

She changes colors depending on the season, it was winter when I took that photo so she is a darker tan, in summer she goes a really pale buff color.
    And she always has the aeroplane ears that stick straight out sideways :p
    Pets Expert

Sep 19, 2009, 12:03 PM
    She changes colors depending on the season, it was winter when I took that photo so she is a darker tan, in summer she goes a really pale buff color.
    And she always has the aeroplane ears that stick straight out sideways :p
    She really is a doll.

One thing I've noticed, and I don't know why, but it's funny. We always get the same colored pets, at least the four legged kind.

All the bunnies are either black, white or a mixture of both. Same with the dogs, except Chewy he's black, white and brown.

I wonder why that is. ;)
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2009, 12:43 PM

Now that you mention it, it is a bit strange!

I only had the option of black and white with the twins, honest, I'm not a copy cat! :p
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Sep 20, 2009, 03:51 AM

HAha yeah I made the same mistake with my bunny Blaze. When we went to pick him up the so called '' Breeder'' didn't let us in or anything she opened her door a bit took the money and threw the rabbit in the cat carrier. So I never got a good look at Blaze until after we got home. When I finally got home and set up his cage I got to see him. He was small and skinny and scared to death anyway someone went near him he cowered away. He wouldn't even eat he was so scared.

I believe that he wasn't handled very much and that they just left him in a cage all day... :( and when I got him he was 10weeks old and had been to another family and then returned to the '' Breeder''. What pissed me off the most was how dirty Blaze was. He had poop and pee and shavings caked on him his feet were the worst all matted, I can't even imagine how much ut must have hurt every time he moved... I was so angry:mad:

I wanted to wash him then and there but I figured I should wait 'til the next day as he had gone through enough for one day. The next day I put luke warm water in the bath and put him in... not a good idea he scrambled to get out and when I put him in the ground he was so scared he pooped on the floor. I then proceeded to clean his paws. After his cleaning he looked much better, no more matts and his paws were a beautiful white.

I love Blaze so much. He's just so cute. I recently moved his cage from my room to our living room for when I go back to school so he would have more attention as my mom loves him. He's very easy to take care of. And anytime we want we can just let him out(with some supervision) he'll hop around and jump back in when he wants to. And he never ever uses the bathroom on the floor except for when we gave him the bath, other then that he'll jump back in his cage and use it. He just loves Rex and Rex is so gentle with him. He'll just hop up and sniff his mouth and Rex''ll lick him. I just love Blaze.

Name:  PICT0020.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  94.4 KB
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2009, 05:12 AM

Blaze is so gorgeous!

That's awful the condition he was in when you got him, I'm glad he is in a nice lovng him now.
    He sounds like a very well bahaved rabbit too, unlike my terrors!

I'm glad Rex likes him too, and your Mom.. my mom doesn't like rabbits and my dad thinks they are food :o

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I want my rabbits to have babies. [ 84 Answers ]

I have one female rabbit and one male rabbit to keep me happy, but I think their babies will would keep me happier.I want my rabbits to have babies, but every time they do have babies the babies die.First when the babies were born they were breathing and moving, but the next day they all died.I...

Pest rabbits [ 3 Answers ]

I live in the country planted a vegetable ,the rabbits are eating it up ,How do I stop them?

Rabbits - outside or in? [ 4 Answers ]

My dad has just bought two rabbits or my son but I am unsure whether they should be outside or not please help. I have two german shepherds too.

Do rabbits regurgitate? [ 2 Answers ]

Do rabbits regurgitate? Do bunnies regurgitate? Thank you, Isaac

View more questions Search