Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kymm62 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2009, 07:59 PM
    Wiring a mister miser 6 kenmore hotwater heater
    Hi
    We are having a heck of a time with wiring . The problem is this... Kenmore Mister Miser 6 30 gallon hot water heater... ok... the hot water heater has.. one blue wire, one black wire, and one yellow wire... our power supply has a black, red and black. We have no idea how we are suppose to wire this... we called sears twice... first time they said black and blue coupled to our red... yellow to our black and cap off the white, well that didn't work... second call to sears resulted in them saying black and blue to to our red yellow to our white and cap off black, called an electrician and he said black to black, white to yellow and blue to red?? We are stumped... any ideas? Oh and it's a 240 volt
    kymm62 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2009, 08:00 PM
    Wiring a mister miser 6 kenmore hotwater heater
    Hi
    We are having a heck of a time with wiring . The problem is this... Kenmore Mister Miser 6 30 gallon hot water heater... ok... the hot water heater has.. one blue wire, one black wire, and one yellow wire... our power supply has a black, red and white. We have no idea how we are suppose to wire this... we called sears twice... first time they said black and blue coupled to our red... yellow to our black and cap off the white, well that didn't work... second call to sears resulted in them saying black and blue to to our red yellow to our white and cap off black, called an electrician and he said black to black, white to yellow and blue to red?? We are stumped... any ideas? Oh and it's a 240 volt
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2009, 08:21 PM
    Without being insulting... you probably shouldn't be doing this yourself. It's apparent you haven't a clue what to do, and if you don't get electrocuted, you will probably ruin the water heater. Sorry.

There isn't any advice I or anyone here can give you because you lack the basic knowledge for this installation. Sears and the electrician shouldn't have advised you at all.
    sparky47 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2009, 08:57 PM
    It sounds like you may be replacing thermostats,if so there is a wiring diagram on back of the package the t-stats came in. If you don't have the diagrams go to your local hardware store and look at some new stats Hope this helps
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 25, 2009, 09:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kymm62 View Post
    Hi
    ...our power supply has a black, red and black.
    Tell what that means. Tell us if you are using some kind of "off Peak meter device, or timer or if you are just wiring the normal two wire from the breaker panel

You should find something like below in you owners manual. These instructions are not for you model number but should be the same.
    You can read these instructions at
    http://c.sears.com/assets/own/32636e

OR

Go to;
    Help | Model Plate | null | SearsPartsDirect.com

And enter you model number.
    Attached Images

tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2009, 11:33 AM
    According to the wiring diagram shown on Page 16 of what I believe to be the instruction manual for this unit:

http://c.sears.com/assets/own/32616e.pdf

And using the two wire connection diagram #3, one leg of the 240 volt connects to yellow, and the blue and black connecto the other 240 volt leg.

The confusion comes form having a three wire feeder, black, red, and white, serving the water heater.

Do you now which two wires of the three have 240 volts?

I agree with MB, you should have the electrician come out and figure out exactly what you have and do the final connections. He can have this done in 10 minutes, although I am sure you will be charged a service call. Better that way than getting injured or damaging the new unit, and have the pleasure of getting some hot water.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 26, 2009, 01:25 PM

One problem is that there are two post on this. The other post says that there is a red, black, black power supply? Which is it?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2009, 04:38 PM
    I missed there were two posts.

Reading the one with Hk answering and I am going, hey I thought I answered this too.

Thought I was losing it, again.

Merged now.

So? Color code? Which is it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hotwater heater keeps needing breaker on the heater reset? [ 6 Answers ]

Hotwater heater keeps needing breaker on the heater reset? About every 4 or 5 days I have to go hit the red button on the heater and reset it. Its electric. Its only 2 years old and nevr has any problems so far. What gives?? TIA

Kenmore Power Miser 6 40 Gal water heater (shorty) popping reset button [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have a rental property with the above described hot water heater and have had some trouble determining exactly what my problem is. Here is a breakdown of what I've experienced. Hot water line burst just above the top of the tank and ran for a period of days spewing hot and eventually cold...

Water miser light flashes on my kenmore dishwasher [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a used Kenmore Dishwasher 665-16712000 9 months ago and it has worked great until now. The water miser light just keeps flashing and it won't start any cycle. If I hit the cancel/drain button the water miser light, the quick dry light, and the cancel/drain light all flash. Eventually...

Kenmore Miser 12 Electric 40 Gal H2O Heater [ 2 Answers ]

Let me get to my problem. I just installed a Kenmore Miser 12 Electric 40 Gal H2O Heater Model #153.321440. I have 120 coming from the breaker into each side of the thermostat (i.e. if I use my voltage meter and touch one lead to a ground and one to the black wire or red wire each gives me 120)...

Hotwater heater wiring problem [ 2 Answers ]

Hi... My dad just replaced their 1970's hot-water heater with a brand new one. He used the same wire as the old water heater, he added a 30 amp double pull breaker at the breaker box, however it throws the breaker, unless he un-hooks the ground wire? There are 3 colors of wire on the "original" ...

View more questions Search