Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dlg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2009, 02:36 PM
    Heating & AC for a renovation
    I'm renovating a 4000+ victorian home in the midwest. It hasn't been lived in for over 9 years and currently has a gravity furnace, which no longer works. I have no idea which type of furnace/AC unit I should look for or what I should look for. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you!
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 25, 2009, 03:33 PM

When you say gravity furnace, do you mean hot water or steam boiler? If so, you could just pipe in a new boiler, but then you have to worry about ac. Without being there to see the layout of house, its impossible to recommend best options. Good luck and please let us know what you decide.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 25, 2009, 03:42 PM
    Always get at least 2 estimates and better yet 3. See attached file to save yourself some trouble.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf How to pick a Contractor.pdf (309.7 KB, 112 views)
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Aug 26, 2009, 05:48 AM

Make sure that each contractor does a load calc (aka Manual J) to make certain they sizing the system properly. Be sure to discuss your planned renovations that will make the house more energy efficient so they can take that into account when sizing the system. It would not be unusual for someone to have a properly sized system before renovation and inadequately over sized afterwards. Oversizing costs extra during initial installation, cost more to operate and can adversely affect longevity.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower renovation [ 2 Answers ]

I am renovating a bathroom in a 50 year old house. The house is on a slab and I have removed the bathroom floor down to the concrete subfloor. I want to reuse the shower drain pipe without having to escavate the slab if possible. The existing drain pipe for the shower sits a few inches above the...

Interior renovation [ 1 Answers ]

How to remove ceramic floor tile on kitchen floor laid in concrete

Renovation of old bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter needs a new toilet and tub. The floor around the toilet is so soft we are afraid to use it. I know we will have to replace the floor or put in a completely new one on top of the old one. Putting in a complete new floor is recommended in a book on repairing Manufactured Homes. The...

Renovation Plumbing [ 2 Answers ]

How do you change plumbing under the slab? Are there reasonable contractors in Houma, LA area that does this type of work? {Post moved to Plumbing forum. Please be careful about where you post. The Introductions forum is not for asking questions. -<>}

Residential renovation [ 1 Answers ]

Is 1/2" drywall appropriate for walls and ceilings?

View more questions Search