Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MrsToolGuy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2009, 01:48 PM
    Becoming a Matco Tools Distributor
    My husband and I are very interested in starting a business with Matco Tools. I am wondering if anyone has experience with Matco as a distributor or as a distributor of any other brand of tools. The pros and cons would be helpful.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Aug 25, 2009, 02:13 PM

Hi,
    I can only answer from being a consumer of tools, customer of tool vendors and brands. Matco is a fine company with extremely good product, if a bit expensive. In an area where they are not represented or under-represented, they will likely grant you an area that is larger than you can easily cover to make sure that you can make a living and more with your own effort.
    Mac seems to be good, though not a flexible. Snap-On seems to be more restrictive still, defining territories more because of name recognition. Know little of Cornwall, SK or independents.
    Matco seems to have the most advanced toolboxes in the industry.
    All are pricey, but they offer some parent company backing.
    Suggest a corporate identity with a DBA attached for business structure.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    matcorob1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2009, 07:20 PM

I am a matco tool distributor in the chicago land area. I have been for over three years now, and it is the best thing I have ever done. I shopped all three of the major franchises before I bought Matco. They are the best and franchise magazine has Matco ranked as the #8 home based business you can buy. We are also the #1 tool distributor in the world. Over the last three years I have witnessed 8 Snap on distributors come and go and the 9th one is on his way.
    matcorob1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2009, 07:24 PM
    There are many pros and cons of the job. A lot of long days 12hrs. But you are the boss and it is your business. Matco has so much assistance and help available. You are never alone out their. Please feel free to email me. [Personal email address removed to protect privacy.]
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2009, 10:40 PM
    Hi, All!

This site is about sharing information on the threads. Once a thread has been started, information shared needs to stay on the thread so that others with similar questions can benefit by the information that's exchanged.

As such, I've removed a personal email address from this thread to protect the person who posted it from potential spammers and also to protect and insure the integrity of this thread remains intact.

If any more solicitation occurs for off-site contact, this thread will be closed or deleted.

Thank you!
    MrsToolGuy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2009, 06:51 AM
    [QUOTE=matcorob1;1947141]There are many pros and cons of the job. A lot of long days 12hrs. But you are the boss and it is your business. Matco has so much assistance and help available. You are never alone out their. Please feel free to email me.

Thank you for your input. It is much appreciated. Please excuse my total lack of knowledge on this subject. What should we expect for out of pocket expense of starting a Matco franchise and is the loan process mirror that of buying a home? When should you reasonablely start to see profits. I know that you are given a list of so many clients. Did you find them to be useful?
    Jimmykite Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2012, 10:03 AM
    I advise you to stay away from Matco.
    If you really want to try the tool business buy your own truck, and put your own name on it.
    Then instead of %30 margins you can make %50 to %60. About 25k in tools will fill a truck up nicely.
    With 25k in inventory and another 40k in your pocket you will have a good start.
    Contact a tool wholesaler, even though they are hard to find. They will put you in touch with an independent that can give you the real inside story.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Nov 11, 2013, 03:48 PM
    Hi,
    My suggestion would follow the previous; check such manufacturers as S-K and maybe Urrea.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Starting a Matco tool franchise [ 11 Answers ]

My husband and I are thinking of starting a Matco tool truck. Looking on the web, we really cannot find any bad things about them but we would love to talk to people who have owned/own a franchise to see how they are doing and if the business is lucrative for them. This would be supporting our...

Distributor box [ 1 Answers ]

How do I take out the distributor box on a 94 honda civic ex?

Distributor removal [ 1 Answers ]

How do I correctly and safely remove the distributor assembly in a 1996 Honda Civic with a 1.6 engine?

Distributor [ 6 Answers ]

I need to remove my igniter so do need to remove my distrubetor from 1988 honda civic lx, and do I have to realing the timing. Thank you

View more questions Search