Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rott25 Posts: 45, Reputation: 2

Aug 25, 2009, 01:24 PM
    Waterproofing grout?
    I've installed ceramic tiles in the bathroom around the tub (all the way up to the ceiling) but what can I use to (somewhat) waterproof grout?

While on the tiling, I also want to replace floor tiles, however, right now floor is a bit lower than the rest of the house upstairs so I wanted to tile over existing tiles, how smart is that? Tiles now are in great shape, I just want new color. There are no cracks at all, very sturdy.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 25, 2009, 04:37 PM

Tiling on on tiles is not recommended since the bound will not be strong if they are glazed and fired tile. You can raise the height of the floor with different thicknesses of Hardiebacker or cement board. Grout is a cementacious material and is not 100% waterproof but is sufficient for a shower. You could use a 2 part epoxy grout which is waterproof and stain proof but it's a bit of overkill.
    JazMan Posts: 219, Reputation: 14

Aug 25, 2009, 07:37 PM
    You can't waterproof grout, but you can apply a sealer which slows penetration and makes cleaning easier. Any waterproofing required is done before the tiles are installed by the use of membrane either sheet or liquid.

I disagree with ballenger about installing new tile over old tiled floors in good condition. It can and is done with good results. The old floor must be in good shape and solid with not loose tiles, cracked or missing grout which would indicate movement in the substrate. Clean the floor, abrade using a carborundum rub stone or belt sander. Use a high quality modified thin set that states it's OK for that purpose.

You say the floor is lower than the rest of the floors. That's kind of unusual, why is that? Do you know how the tiles were installed... the method I mean? Is it original, how long has it been in place?

Jaz

Aug 27, 2009, 08:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
    You can't waterproof grout, but you can apply a sealer which slows penetration and makes cleaning easier. Any waterproofing required is done before the tiles are installed by the use of membrane either sheet or liquid.

I disagree with ballenger about installing new tile over old tiled floors in good condition. It can and is done with good results. The old floor must be in good shape and solid with not loose tiles, cracked or missing grout which would indicate movement in the substrate. Clean the floor, abrade using a carborundum rub stone or belt sander. Use a high quality modified thin set that states it's OK for that purpose.

You say the floor is lower than the rest of the floors. That's kinda unusual, why is that? Do you know how the tiles were installed...the method I mean? Is it original, how long has it been in place?

Jaz

The floor was even but I had really thick plush carpet installed in the hallway so now ceramic tiles appear much lower, so when I install new ones over old ones they'll be even.

Should I sue the net/mesh when installing over existing tiles?
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Sep 2, 2009, 08:32 AM

Oh my. I will vouch that installing new tiles over old is not the best way to go. If you do that - and don't do it right - all kinds of not so nice things can happen - then you will end up having to tear everything out and two layers to boot.

Yes - you can spread over your old tiles. Now will this tile and additional floor leveler be at the right height after you install over the existing? Things to consider. Then you have to raise the trim, and cut it to fit. The bottom of the door. Let's not forget the plumbing fixtures , etc. Am I giving a better picture of this?
    Do it right the first time.

If you use a sealer - do not use a spray on sealer - you may end up breathing in more then you apply. Not so good. They have some sealers now out that are better and you have to apply them with a brush or some tyep of applicator.

Sep 2, 2009, 09:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
    Oh my. I will vouch that installing new tiles over old is not the best way to go. If you do that - and don't do it right - all kinds of not so nice things can happen - then you will end up having to tear everything out and two layers to boot.

Yes - you can spread over your old tiles. Now will this tile and additional floor leveler be at the right height after you install over the existing? Things to consider. Then you have to raise the trim, and cut it to fit. The bottom of the door. let's not forget the plumbing fixtures and etc. Am I giving a better picture of this?
    Do it right the first time.

If you use a sealer - do not use a spray on sealer - you may end up breathing in more then you apply. Not so good. They have some sealers now out that are better and you have to apply them with a brush or some tyep of applicator.
    That's the sealer I got :)

As far as new tiles over old ones, I am remodeling whole bathroom, new trim, paint, doors, fixtures etc. so no issues there
    Bljack Posts: 245, Reputation: 28

Sep 5, 2009, 05:52 AM
    I'm going to side 100% with Jaz on this one. Tile right over the old, just like Jaz said, providing it's in pristine shape and height buildup won't be an issue. In your case, height build up seems to be desirable, so go for it. I will say give the thinset an extra day to set up before grouting since you will be setting essentially an impervious surface over an impervious surface and for those that wish to argue, Tile over tile, TCNA method TR712 for floors, TCNA TR713 for interior walls, you just have to know what you are doing, beyond just lick it and stick it and while you will have a reduced shear strength bond of the thinset, as long as you maintain clear perimeter spacing, free of thinset and grout, there will never be any forces affecting the shear strength.

For "waterproof grout" there are epoxy grouts you could use on the floor and there are portland cement based grouts that cure so dense they won't accept sealers and there is an additive "grout boost" which creates such a densely cured and highly stain resistant grout when used in place of water. No matter what, though, if you want truly waterproof, it's done behind the tile. I realize it's been a few days since your last response, but how about sharing where you are at on your project and the scope of what you are doing.
    joelv Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2011, 01:54 AM
    This product is what you need "Sunarmor" . This might solve all your problem. Hope this stuff helps. Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garage Waterproofing [ 2 Answers ]

I need a black material that is waterproof that attaches to your garage foundations And it creates a waterproof seal. I've been hunting for days on this any help would be excellent.

Shower pan plus Waterproofing? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have installed a new shower pan in my master bathroom. The help I found here helped me do the job, I would like to know if I need to put a waterproofing paint over the mortor and the backer board. The pan liner comes up about one foot behind the backer. Please help my wife would like her...

Interior waterproofing [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am trying to find the correct way to waterproof my basement from the inside I do not know what the material is called that looks like corrugated fiberglass Installed on the lower part of the wall or how to find it A diagram would be very helpful: confused: Thank you

Waterproofing a laundry tub [ 8 Answers ]

I have what I believe to be a "soapstone" laundry tub. (It looks like it is made of 1" thick rock-type material . . . definitely not plastic or anything like that.) It was undoubtedly installed when the house was built - so is approximately 40 years old. I noticed that when I wash...

Waterproofing a shower bench [ 1 Answers ]

We're in the process of building a custom shower bench in our new shower and were curious on the options/process we have. The bench will be outside a prefabricated swanstone shower pan. I know it has to be waterproofed etc before we can tile it but was wondering that material we should use to...

View more questions Search