Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    radiation Posts: 21, Reputation: 3

Aug 25, 2009, 09:44 AM
    summation from -infinity to infinity
    how do u find the value of 'sigma' from n=-infinity to infinity for (1/2)^(2 mod n)..
    sorry wasn't able to put it in the right format..
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2009, 10:00 AM

Is that it?

You can try the LaTeX tutorial...
    moonfish1985 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2009, 04:12 AM
    The most logical interpretation I can come up with for (2 mod n) is 2 modulo n, which makes no sense whatsoever. Unless the sum is supposed to diverge, then it's prefectly logical. Because for |n|>to the expression (2 mod n) is simply 2, meaning the sum is the same as (and excuse me for being too lazy to use LaTeX):
    [the sum from n=-inf to -3 for (1/4)] + [the sum from n=-2 to 2 for (1/2)^(2 mod n)] + [the sum from n=3 to inf for (1/4)]

The first and past part of that expression diverge to infinity.
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2009, 03:59 PM
    If |n| were an absolute value, then we could write:

What we have is a geometric series.

Just a thought. I am uncertain of the 'mod' as well.
    radiation Posts: 21, Reputation: 3

Aug 28, 2009, 06:40 AM

The notation given by jerry is exactly right.. The answer given is 5/3... I don't know how to arrive at it..
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Aug 28, 2009, 07:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by radiation View Post
    The notation given by jerry is exactly right..The answer given is 5/3...i dont know how to arrive at it..
    Galactus almost had it! I'm guessing he sees his mistake now that you say the right answer.

In doubling the sum from 0 to infinity (once to account for the negative values of n and once for the positive), he inadvertently counted n=0 twice. Hence, the real answer is actually
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2009, 07:58 AM
    Good catch, JCaron. Yes, it was an oversight.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buy Infinity control thermostadt? [ 3 Answers ]

Ned to replace furnace. Have bids from both Bryant and Carrier, which I have been told are identical. Bryant bid provides new honeywell thermostadt. Carrier says they will put in the Infinity control with their bid. Bryant bid is about 200 bucks less. I'm looking at the plus 90 3 stage furnace ...

LIMITS at negative. Infinity! [ 1 Answers ]

Without graphing, how do you take the limit of the cubed root of x as x approaches negative infinity? Help me, please.

Carrier Infinity a joke? [ 10 Answers ]

I just spend 11K on a new Carrier Infinity Central Air and r-8 duct replacement. I see lots of water in the emergency drain pan and around the duck work connections. The unit doesn't cool well, and its humidity control (carrier makes it out to be the best thing since bread and butter) doesn't work...

Two different models of infinity [ 1 Answers ]

Important: This topic is based on proofs without words ( http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ProofwithoutWords.html ). A one rotation of the Archimedean Spiral is exactly 1/3 of the circle’s area (...

View more questions Search