Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Thanks in advance Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Oct 25, 2006, 12:56 PM
    Things in orbit
    The space shuttle, for example. I saw this question on another forum. Wish I hadn't. Now I'm curious and confused.

Once in orbit, it travels at about 17,500 mph around the earth. What propels it at that speed? I thought that once it begins to orbit, it (as well as most other things in orbit, including space junk and debris) is stationary and does not need to be propelled or powered along by thrust.

In trying to understand this, I keep reading that the space shuttle is rotating or revolving or orbiting around the earth at 17,500 mph and that a collision with some space debris could be disastrous.

And then there's the astronauts who go outside the shuttle and float around like in a vacuum and make adjustments and repairs.

And I can understand the shuttle (in orbit), is in a fixed position above the earth and because of the earth's gravitational pull, is literally "falling" off the edge or curvature of the earth. Nevertheless, according to what I read, the shuttle is moving a speed of 17,500 mph!

What is propelling it? Jet engine thrusters, etc. :confused:

Thanks in advance...
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 25, 2006, 01:15 PM
    This site may help with some insight.
    Also you must bear in mind Earth's rotational speed.
    As to what is propelling it, well as there virtually no friction in space, then there is nothing to slow the shuttle down.
    So once this spedd is reached then it will continue to move at this rate for ever, or near enough anyway.
    An interesting science fact of note is a new propulsion system NASA are looking into for long distance travel.
    Ion Propulsion has relatively slow acceleration, but is capable of sustaining this acceleration for years on end. Hence attaining an incredably fast overall velocity.

I hope this has given you more to think about and you fine the links interesting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smaller Orbit [ 5 Answers ]

Suppose the Orbit of the Earth Were 5% Smaller (a = 0.95 au) than it is today (a = 1.0 au). What would happen??

Seeing things [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I'm new to this site, so hopefully my answer will be fulfilled. My daughter lately this past week will out of the blue say that a man touched her. Yeah, I know what you are thinking. We asked her a series of questions, was it daddy, was in uncle so and so, we went down the list of males she...

Orbit of the sun [ 1 Answers ]

How many miles or kilometres does the Earth travel in one orbit of the sun? Is it constant?

Where things are going [ 2 Answers ]

I was chatting to a friend today and the comment was made that "most people after 3 years know where the relationship is going". Was just wondering how true that really is? And does it really matter?

Earths orbit around the Sun [ 1 Answers ]

What kinds of changes would happen in our lives if the Earth's orbit around the Sun were increased by 5%?

View more questions Search