Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Talany2004 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2006, 12:46 PM
    Relocation Bonus
    Hi,

I'm going to be transferring within my company from the Washington, DC area to San Francisco. I've received a transfer package which includes the relocation package. I'm not sure what the rules are from a tax perspective, but I thought there were slightly different tax rules based on relocation expenses. The package I have received from my employer is is a lump sum bonus and it will be paid for by the San Francisco office. What tax rate would this be taxed at? Are there any additional tax implications based on the fact that it's a relocation package?

Thanks.

Talany2004
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 25, 2006, 06:30 PM
    If it is a true lump sum bonus, they will withhold 30% for income taxes, as well as 7.65% for Social Security and Medicare, plus about 6-10% for California state income tax.

What the actual income tax rate is for federal and California taxes depends on your total income picture.

Since the relocation bonus is probably your reimbursement for moving expenses, some (but not all) of your moving expenses are deductible as an adjustment to income. You will have to file Form 3903 with Form 1040.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Referral bonus [ 3 Answers ]

Ihave received a referral bonus of 2000 this month. My friend wanted to split this bonus 40/60. 40 percent for me after taxes. Now, am I not losing money on this? Thanks.

Re bonus repayment [ 1 Answers ]

My employer notified me that I have to repay my bonus $6k after tax. The gross amount was $10k. What is interesting is that they told me if I don't repay by their cutoff date for 2005 adjustments I will have to pay close to the entire amount per the IRS. Can anyone point me to where in the...

Can a bonus be taxed twice? [ 3 Answers ]

I received a sign on bonus of $2000. However I am leaving the company before the 2 year time requirement so I have to pay it back. I noticed on my last check that they deducted my bonus AFTER taxes so now I've been hit twice. Is this correct? If not, what can I do now that it's already been...

Relocation Bonus Question again.. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Atlanta Tax Expert. Thanks a lot for your advice. However, I talked to my company today and they told me that IRS considers relocation allowance as a Bonus and it will be taxed at a higher rate which is 45%. Now, as I told you, I am on f1 status working on CPT in the state of California. Will...

Relocation expenses [ 3 Answers ]

My firm reimbursed $3000 of relocation expenses, but some of those included meals, househunting trip expenses etc, which are not tax-deductible under the rules I seem to be reading online. However on my w-2 in box 12, the amount is $3000. When I'm figuring out the excess of what I was reimbursed...

View more questions Search