Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    streetpainter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2009, 10:08 AM
    Installing hardibacker to cement block walls
    Hello,

I am planning to install 4x8' hardibacker sheets (1/4") to a cinder block wall. They will become supports for a combination tile and painted mural. I understand I should use an acrylic modified thinset and the right size screws. This work is sited in Southern California next to the coast and there is abundant humidity and marine layer though comparatively little rain. Shadier parts of the wall hold the morning dampness. Do you think I should use a moisture barrier? If so, how is it installed?

I plan to abutt the sheets and use an acrylic dispersion medium to fill the gaps. Thanks so much!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 24, 2009, 01:03 PM

Is this a exterior block wall of a building or is it a retaining wall or something. Hardiebacker comes in 3x5 or 4x8 sheets. The seams should be covered with fiber mesh tape and thinset. Its best to follow manufacturer installation instructions. http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner...install-us.pdf How flat do you need to get this finished wall?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cement block steps [ 2 Answers ]

I have a beach house and the soil is 100 percent sand.i want to build cement block steps how deep should the footing be.ihave not seen any home repair or massonary books on sand bases. Thank you sal cucuzza

Installing new Tiles on old cement and wire mesh walls [ 3 Answers ]

Have been caught up in the spiraling adventure of "lets change the toilet". Well needless to say that was what lead to redoing the whole bathroom. (Floor was wrotten.) I am in the process of taking down the floor to ceiling tiles in the tub as we are replacing them also. (50 yrs old). In...

Cement block shower [ 2 Answers ]

How to lay a cement block shower? By using 3 blocks by 3 blocks by 3 blocks?

Cement block footings [ 1 Answers ]

Replacing a porch at a sand beach location,how deep should a footing be for cemeent blocks

Cement block shower [ 1 Answers ]

My parents house, built in 1956, has a basement shower made of cement blocks with a cement floor. Can I tile over the walls and what's the best solution for the cement floor that's deteriorating.

View more questions Search