Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TheGuyOnTheLeft Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2009, 09:08 PM
    Mysterious Whistling
    OKAY, I'M REALLY FREAKED. I hear this mysterious whistling while I'm playing video games anf about to fall asleep. It can happen any time of day and at different volumes, in fact I can hear it right as I'm posting this. HELP PLEASE!
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2009, 12:12 AM

Follow the sound, where is it coming from?

Do you mean when playing videogames and when falling asleep, like it can happen during either occurrence, or only when you are falling asleep while playing videogames? What system are you using?

My guess is it's the fan for your game system, working too hard, but until you find the source I can't say for certain.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2009, 12:12 AM
    Hi, TheGuyOnTheLeft!

Are the video games that you're playing on your computer or television when you hear the whistling, please? Also, does the whistling sound like a human doing it or something else?

Thanks!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2009, 12:14 AM
    Gosh! We posted during the same minute, HelpinHere!

Aug 24, 2009, 07:27 AM
    I used those terms, meaning daily tasks in my house, bad choice of words. I was really freaked when I put it up.

Aug 24, 2009, 07:31 AM

Sorry, I was freaking out when I wrote it. I meant daily tasks but didn't know what to say. I already checked my system and its not that, plus it whistles a song and I don't know what it is. At first it usually comes from the kitchen, then when I walk in, it switches to the basement, I haven't found the courage to explaore the basement yet. It has happens numerous times in one day. Sorry I mislead your answers. I have my head more together with this one.
    MaryJS Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Aug 24, 2009, 07:43 AM

TheGuyOnTheLeft:

1) Then be a little scientific, and take a cheap recordoing device and bring with you over a whole day, and record everything.
    2) Record during a whole week.
    3) Write up: a) How many times during this week did I hear the whistling? b) How many times did it get recorded? In both cases, you must only use the cases where the recorder has been in your environment, and on.

I look forward to your results! We will try to find out where the whistling comes from together.

If you are a frequent user of mp3-players and headphones, and you speak much on the phone, you can get this "mysterious whistling" from an ear disorder called "tinnitus",
    That a third of all musicians have ;-) Its common, and nothing spooky or dangerous about it then, just disturbing. (Then you will not hear this whistling on the recorder, it comes from your ears. The good news, are that you are not crazy, just over-exposing your ears in this case.)

Aug 24, 2009, 07:57 AM

Sorry I keep leaving out details but... Every tim I hear the whistling and search, my dog is next to me. When I go to the kitchen and it switches to the basement, my dog runs down there in search of what's going on. My dog is a border collie, so she is very intelligent and I would trust her over anyone in my family about hearing a spirit (if she could talk). Im very sorry for leaving out many details.

Also, I told my mom but she couldn't hear it, but she's usually in her bedroom and can't hear anything anyone says or yells.
    spiritcharms Posts: 230, Reputation: 30

Aug 24, 2009, 10:40 AM

Are you sure the whistling isn't in your ears? And certain things set it off, video games being one of them? Tinnitus?
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2009, 12:43 PM

Yep, I'd have to bet on that too.

I get the same thing, when I do any repetitive task that has the same sound repeated (ie. videogames, typing too much, etc.) I then hear a higher pitched version of the sound about an hour after I was doing it.

Also, if it is "whistling a song" there are some wind-chute (type things, not sure exactly) that make a whistling sound, and depending on how strong the wind is blowing, a different note is produced...

Yeah, I'm rambling, :p

Aug 24, 2009, 01:02 PM

I posted that my dog hears it too. I don't know how to explain it but I'm not the only one who hears it. So please stop saying I have tinnutis, I know that is not the case.
    spiritcharms Posts: 230, Reputation: 30

Aug 24, 2009, 01:19 PM

I don't keep saying you have tinnitus! I only said it once and asked you.

Edit: apologies I hadn't seen others replies before I posted that.

Aug 25, 2009, 08:52 AM

You might have a small animal, mouse, stuck in the leading system! :-) You need to help it out then, before it dies and stars smelling.
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2009, 11:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGuyOnTheLeft View Post
    I posted that my dog hears it too. i dont know how to explain it but im not the only one who hears it. So please stop saying i have tinnutis, i know that is not the case.
    Sorry, but have you ASKED your dog if he hears it?

Dogs cannot talk. It could be reacting to something completely different. Or, perhaps if your dog is there when you are playing games, he is getting the same effects as you? (They say dogs can get everything a human can get).

Are you the only one in your house? Try getting a friend to come over, or someone other than your parents. (Possibly like the Mosquito ringtone, older people can't hear it.) Confirm that you aren't hearing it for yourself.

Then, go downstairs to the basement and figure it out. Take your dog, and your mom, if you really need to.

Aug 25, 2009, 04:14 PM

MaryJS Thank You! That was the problem. My mom finally heard it and brought over my carpenter uncle. We got the mouse outand set it free!

Aug 31, 2009, 11:39 AM

That is great! I am happy to have helped you. Hope the mouse also is fine now! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What was this whistling [ 1 Answers ]

Hi this morning I awoke to a wolf whisltling noise in my room it went on for 5 minutes then stopped it was definitely in my room and there was no appliances on any ideas?

Whistling Pop Song [ 8 Answers ]

There is a pop song I've heard in the last month, and there is some whistling and singing... it seems like it is a very recent song, as I've heard it on the radio, and a few times in various department stores that usually play the most current music. It's got a catchy beat, and it seems to be sung...

Pipe whistling [ 1 Answers ]

What can I do to stop the high pitch whistling sound that happens when I run the shower?

Whistling faucet [ 2 Answers ]

Recently replaced a kitchen faucet, now the hot water whistles until you turn on the cold, then it stops unless you turn off the cold water then it starts up again. Also, occasionally there have been air bubbles in the toilet in my basement (finished) any thoughts would be appreciated Thanks

Whistling [ 1 Answers ]

Our home heating system is one which uses the main water system and fans to heat up the water and blow out hot air through vents. Can't remember what it's called... Often there is a high pitched whistling noise coming from the main water line when the heater is running. We noticed that when we...

View more questions Search