Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2009, 10:51 PM
    I got a crockpot!
    I finally got a crock pot today. I have a few recipes that I've found to try out but I was hoping some of you might be willing to share some of your favorite crock pot recipes :)
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2009, 11:53 PM

Here's one:

But the BIGGEST portion of boneless pork/beef you can. But, make sure it will fit in the CP. (I like to eat a lot, but you can use smaller)

The following morning:
    Poor 1 1/2 inches of water in the CP.
    Open your spice rack, choose any number of spices/seasonings/etc. that go good with meat, throw however much you want in there.
    Turn the CP on low.
    Add veggies if you feel like it.
    Leave to go to work.
    When you come home, you have a wonderful dish! :D

The best part is, because of this "recipie" it is different, but delicious, all the time.
    I don't follow recipies, I just experiment.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2009, 12:25 AM
    Hi, justcurious55!

When I was growing up, I remember an aunt who made the most delicious dishes using a crock pot and she had green beans, potatoes and ham in it. Or, variations, thereof. But, the green beans were the main ingredient.

To me, the taste and tenderness of the green beans after having been cooked all day, just couldn't be beat!

I don't have any particular recipes in mind. But, to me, if you cook green beans with other things in a crock pot, you can't go wrong! It's a true delight for an eating pleasure!

Have fun with your crock pot! :)

Thanks!
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2009, 09:09 AM
    These 2 come from the 'Rival' CP cook book, but I've changed a little and make a couple times a year and love.

No Peek Beef Casserole
    2 Lbs sirloin chopped like stew meat (or stew meat)
    1 envelope onion soup mix
    1 can cream of mushroom or chicken soup
    8 oz or so of sliced mushrooms
    And if you want throw in a coarse chopped onion
    1/2 cup red wine (I prefer Chianti)
    Stir everything together in the CP and cook on low 8-12 or high 5-6 hours

"Chicken Lickin' Good" Pork chops
    6-8 lean pork chops 1" thick
    1/2 cup flour
    1 T sea salt
    1 1/2 teas dry mustard
    1/2 teas garlic powder
    2 TBL canola/olive oil
    1 can chicken and rice soup

Coat the pork chops in the first 4 ingredients and brown in the oil in cast iron skillet. Put them in the CP, add the can of soup and cook.
    Low 6-8
    High 3 1/2

Oh and one more similar to 'HelpinHere' recipe.
    Throw a chuck roast or pork roast in and add Southwestern seasonings like Oregano, Cayenne, Chili powder, garlic... and one small can tomato sauce (the little one around 6 oz. I think) and cook all day
    It makes great taco meat or Burritos or for a salad.

My old (20 years) CP used to cook on low and high and be perfect. My new and bigger one cooks on Low, High and Warm. Sometimes I have to use the Low setting instead of High and Warm instead of Low, otherwise it cooks too fast. I always start it out on the correct setting for 1/2 hour and then turn it down. You might need to experiment.

Have fun!:D
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2009, 09:27 AM

I don't have a specific recipe for you but I will only add that you can buy the most inexpensive cuts of meat and still end up with very tender and juicy dish.

I did brown my meat in flour first to seal in the juices but that was all the prep I had to do.

I used to throw all my ingredients in before work and when I got home all I ever had to do was dish it up.

For that reason alone ,it was worth its weight in gold :)
    rsb8 Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Aug 23, 2009, 09:54 AM
    Here is a recipe that my mom makes sometimes.
    Here goes

you will need

Beef cubes
    Carrots
    New potates
    Celery
    Tomatos(cherry)
    Beef broth
    Water
    Spices (that you like)

how to:

Put all ingrediants in pot
    Put lid on set on low heat for 7 hours
    Then enjoy!:)

Hope you enjoy it! From:rsb8
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2009, 02:10 PM

Thank you so much guys. I can't wait to try them out! :)
    mellybelly0709 Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Sep 22, 2009, 08:54 PM

rsb8 has a great one and if your at a loss for spice you can buy mccormics beef stew seasoning.
    so sexy Posts: 532, Reputation: 12

Oct 14, 2009, 01:17 PM

I have tons & tons of crockpot recipes in like 5 inch binders. I started my collection when I was in Germany and I was teaching school . I would put dinner in the crockpot and when I came home I would eat dinner than off to college classes. I goggled most of all of my recipes.
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2009, 10:50 PM

Got any favorites you want to share so sexy? :)
    summer7 Posts: 344, Reputation: 44

Oct 14, 2009, 11:37 PM

Hi,
    Check out these sites...

Click here: crock pot recipes - Recipes - p1 - Recipezaar

Click her: easy crock pot cooking recipes - Google Videos

Enjoy! :)
    Just Looking Posts: 1,610, Reputation: 480
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2009, 10:13 AM
    I love pulled pork sandwiches. Yesterday, I put a cheap ($1.78/pound) pork roast in the crockpot, on top of sliced onion and green pepper, covered with BBQ sauce, and cooked on low for 10 hours. I live in high altitude, so I always have to cook everything longer - 8 hours would probably be plenty. After cooking, it was so tender I pulled it apart with a fork, and then served it on toasted buns. I threw out the onion and pepper. It was very tasty. :)
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2009, 01:41 AM

I'd have to dig up recipes (probably my favorite is the chicken chili thingy or whatever it is), but I have to say a crock pot is THE best way to cook chicken. I don't cook with much red meat, but mostly boneless chicken breasts or sometimes turkey. And since any tiny bit of something-not-quite done on a piece of chicken is terribly disgusting, I find it easy to overdo it and get it dry.

But a crock pot works great. Even if all you do is cover it with water and let it cook. It'll be juicy and it takes a lot of over-doing to get it dry. So it's a good start for anything else you want to do with it. If you need shredded meat, it's also an easier way to do that cause stuff just pulls apart so easily.

(Of course, you do end up with that big heavy thing to clean out.)
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2009, 03:10 PM

I found a recipe but not the chili thing I thought it was. (That's not a crockpot.) But same sort of concept, a chicken tortilla soup. I notice everyone's going with red meat recipes, so mine's of a completely different type. But I love this sort of thing:

* 1 pound shredded, cooked chicken
    * 1 (15 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
    * 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
    * 1 medium onion, chopped
    * 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
    * 2 cloves garlic, minced
    * 2 cups water
    * 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
    * 1 teaspoon cumin
    * 1 teaspoon chili powder
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    * 1 bay leaf
    * 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
    * 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
    * 7 corn tortillas
    * vegetable oil

DIRECTIONS

1. Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chiles, and garlic into a slow cooker. Pour in water and chicken broth, and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Stir in corn and cilantro. Cover, and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours.
    2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
    3. Lightly brush both sides of tortillas with oil. Cut tortillas into strips, then spread on a baking sheet.
    4. Bake in preheated oven until crisp, about 10 to 15 minutes. To serve, sprinkle tortilla strips over soup.

Just pasted that in from a recipe site. I actually put the chicken in the thing frozen the night before, put the water in, and if that doesn't cover it, add some of the chicken broth. Then let it sit on low all night. Then from there I essentially follow the rest of the recipe -- except I don't mess with baking the tortilla strips, assuming I use them at all. Those and a little dab of sour cream makes it look nice though.
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2009, 03:36 PM

Ooh. That does sound yummy. Yeah, beef recipes seem to be easier to find. But I like your ideas for the chicken. It's good to change things up.
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2009, 01:32 AM

Well, I always do have to be a little different. LOL. I love stuff like white chili, turkey burgers, etc. Stuff that makes people look at me funny. :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crockpot Pheasant Recipe! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Does anyone have a good recipe for cooking whole pheasants using a crockpot, if so please contact me. Thank you, Philly

View more questions Search