Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2009, 06:50 PM
    Wireless not working
    Yesterday, my laptop worked flawlessly on the wireless router. Today, it says "wireless connection not connected". What happened? When I ask it to search for networks, it can't find any in range. No changes have been made to anything, no software, no updates. I suspect the router may have a problem. Has anyone experienced this issue and resolved it? I appreciate all answers and speculatory comments.
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2009, 07:18 PM

What router/modem are you using? Wired computers? Any more information you could provide?

Anyway, try restarting your router/modem. Turn them off (or unplug if no power buttons) for one minute. Then, turn the modem on. When the lights stop flashing (activity will still flash) then turn the router on. When those lights have stopped flashing, after one minute, test to see if you can detect an internet connection again.

This isn't a specific fix, but it helps with these problems more often than you'd expect.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2009, 07:20 PM

Be sure wireless switch is not turned off.
    Are you able to pick up other routers with netstumbler, inssider, or other monitoring?
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2009, 07:21 PM
    DON'T reset Router unless you HAVE too. It may be what you need, but don't jump yet.
    I would start with dumping cookies, passwords, temporary. etc.
    Maybe Restore if you have XP.
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2009, 07:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    DON'T reset Router unless you HAVE too. It may be what you need, but don't jump yet.
    I would start with dumping cookies, passwords, temporary. etc.
    Maybe Restore if you have XP.
    I believe you misread. I didn't say "reset" I said "restart".

To reset the router (yes, it could be necessary) the OP would need to know the router's IP address, the stock (it if was changed) the password along with other stuff. It's a complicated process, and near the bottom of the "things to try" list. :)
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2009, 07:43 PM

That can never hurt, at night, I turn the Power strip off(UPS'd), In the Morning I turn it on, Everything turns on at once. Works fine.
    Some have a need to leave everything on constantly. I don't.
    Dumped you cookies?
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2009, 07:48 PM

If I have a problem I always right click on my connection icon and click on repair.
    It clears the DNS cache and always works for me.
    I am not a computer expert but I have found this to be a solution for myself.
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2009, 07:54 PM

HelpinHere, I DID Misread, Thanks.
    Need to know if Missouri is receiving(transmitting) ANY WiFi?
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2009, 08:06 PM
    Help and Strat... thanks.
    I have tried all that you mentioned. When the laptop turns on it usually describes the wireless connection... good, fair, excellent... etc. Now it doesn't find it. It's a Belkin router, which has worked fine for at least 5 years. The laptop has a built in wireless card which through internal troubleshooting it appears to be fine. The router lights to work, and nothing seems out of the ordinary... except the laptop can't find a wireless network. I suspect it's the router, since no software or hardware changes have been made... it just quit.
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2009, 08:08 PM
    artlady... I have tried that as well... and thanks for the suggestion. :)
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2009, 08:32 PM

Hmm... open up your network and sharing center.

Make sure all of your accesses are set to work. (green lights, most likely)

I have found that after some automatic updates, it turns off on my computer. May be the same on yours.
    charliec Posts: 61, Reputation: 6

Aug 24, 2009, 11:11 AM

Go To a coffee shop with wireless and see if you can see their network , connect if you can.
    This will help isolate the problem.
    charliec Posts: 61, Reputation: 6

Aug 24, 2009, 11:13 AM

Often a laptop will have a button that turns off the wireless card.
    On my laptop it is Fn + F2
    Look on you laptop keyboard for a symbol that looks like a wirless signal
    (( A))
    / \
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2009, 09:01 PM
    Thanks for all the response. I decided that the first step would be to replace the router.
    It was the correct step, the wireless network is up and running. Charliec... your answer would have been the most helpful... if I wasn't so rural that an internet coffee shop would have taken me half the day and 50 or 60 miles of travel to find. Fortunately Belkin has a limited lifetime warranty, and they replaced the unit for me at no charge.
    Again, thanks for the responses.
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2009, 09:09 PM

I know it's not what you want to hear, but that is not necessarily the problem.

Perhaps it was just a password mistake or something.
    Without determining the exact problem, it will just make it harder the next time you get this problem.

However, I am glad you are up and running again! :)
    chandru92 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2012, 11:01 AM
    Same problem here
    :(
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2012, 11:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chandru92 View Post
    same problem here
    :(
    You probably should start a new thread... look at the date you responded to... :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wireless NIC not working [ 5 Answers ]

I formatted my dell laptop. Already had linksys g-adapter running before. Now the cd says it is installed but icon in tray says it isn't. The power light is on the card

Wireless no longer working [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Compaq Presario F553CL Notebook. My wireless quit working not sure if it is a driver issue or the internal wifi went out or other, can someone please help me!

Wireless Network is not working [ 1 Answers ]

I have wireless internet setup and it quit working a few weeks ago. No settings were changed. Hardwire works fine on both laptop and PC so the network adapters are fine. I have a Netgear 54mbps wireless router.

Wireless Connection Not Working [ 3 Answers ]

My wireless connection is not working. It was working several hours ago. At that time, I initiated shutdown of my computer, and in the process, an error message popped up. Before I could read it, the computer gave a long beep, and then shutdown prematurely. Now, there is a yellow triangle...

Wireless not working [ 3 Answers ]

My laptop has a builtin wireless router in it I've gone to set up wireless and it says that it cannot find wireless network router I've done everythong to set up and disabled my firewalls. When I came off it it said that there was a problem with the ip address I clicked on it and it said that...

View more questions Search