Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hydraulic001 Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

Aug 22, 2009, 02:02 AM
    Taekwondo grading
    Hi guys,
    I have been taking regular taekwondo classes for a little over 18 months now and so far have earned yellow tag, is 18 months too long between gradings for this sort of thing? One of the guys in the class has a green tag and has been there 4 years and there are no signs of any more grading being held any time soon and am starting to wonder if this is the usual procedure, can someone advise before I invest any more time effort and money into it.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2009, 06:43 AM

Do you enjoy it? Are you learning something? Then yes, invest more time and money. Are you doing it just to earn a title/rank? Dump it.

A belt/tag/rank/grade is mostly meaningless.

On the other hand, if you had been given a black belt in 18 months, would that make you feel better about it?
    Hydraulic001 Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

Aug 25, 2009, 05:01 AM

No, I probably would'nt feel good about a black belt in 18 months because there would be no satisfaction of earning it, it just appears that there is no structure to classes, never the same thing twice and never any sort of "instruction" couple of demo's of a technique followed by a short practice then people standing around waiting for the next technique to follow, which never really seems to happen.
    Managed to speak to one of the guys at our class and the last grading (about 10 months ago) got his red tag, which I thought was quite impressive, turns out he has been at this regularly week on week for 14 years.
    Hence the question about lengths of time for gradings
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2009, 05:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydraulic001 View Post
    no, i probably would'nt feel good about a black belt in 18 months cos there would be no satisfaction of earning it, it just appears that there is no structure to classes, never the same thing twice and never any sort of "instruction" couple of demo's of a technique followed by a short practice then people standing around waiting for the next technique to follow, which never really seems to happen.
    managed to speak to one of the guys at our class and the last grading (about 10 months ago) got his red tag, which i thought was quite impressive, turns out he has been at this regularly week on week for 14 years.
    Hence the question about lengths of time for gradings
    I was taking TKD many years ago and my Sabemnim(sp) told us that there is really no official structure. Gradings and ranking are set by each teacher.

If you are unhappy with the teaching and structure in your school, by all means, find a different school or martial art. Martial arts are great exercise for both mind and body and if your mind is not being challenged then its time to find a new school.
    kev103 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2009, 09:02 AM
    18 months is not normal for grading I'm a 3rd dan instructor in ireland and official member of and kukkiwon and can tell you gradings should be held every 3 months I only started 10 years ago if your not grading your not progressing at the art. My opinion of your instructor is he is only out to make money so find a different club that actually cares about the art. Ask your instuctor for his certificates which you are intiteled to see I bet he's not what he says he is most guys just say there black belts to make money if he was a black belt the classes would have more depth and insight and you certainly should not be standing around because taekwondo is about speed fitness and stamina
    jajangmyun895 Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Dec 30, 2010, 06:08 AM
    It usually doesn't take that long to get a yellow belt... I am a Grand Master's daughter so I should know. Getting a yellow belt should take 3 months MAX if you know the material and can do it without a lot of flaw (or any flaw at all) So I wouldn't invest more money into that studio... But that's just me, you can do whatever you want. The decision is yours to make :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grading ground against house [ 1 Answers ]

My new house is bordered by ground, garden rocks, and grass that is only 3 inches lower than the siding. I'm concerned about bugs (termites). So, I thought I'd lower the ground by shoveling the border to make the distance appx 8 inches. But, I'm thinking that will create a situation where...

Grading and gradepoint average [ 3 Answers ]

My question regard the calculation of grade point average in case of an F grade. Are the units or credit hours of the course with F grade included in the calculation of the grade point average. Now when the F grade is removed by retaking the course (asume B grade was earned in the repetition) what...

Grading material. [ 2 Answers ]

Am running a trench and what with all the rock and it being clay soil was wondering if I could use sand to get plumb then cover with the clay and then with the clay/rocks?

Grading and gradepoint average [ 1 Answers ]

My question regard the calculation of grade point average in case of an F grade. Are the units or credit hours of the course with F grade included in the calculation of the grade point average. Now when the F grade is removed by retaking the course (assume B grade was earned in the repetition) what...

View more questions Search