Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snotbubble Posts: 70, Reputation: 3

Aug 21, 2009, 12:15 PM
    Is this ball gown too hot for an outdoor summer wedding?
    I was origionally going to have a chirstmas wedding but not as many family members would be able to come, so I chaged the date to next summer. I already had my heart set on this ball gown dress. It's on eBay for only $250 and it's handmade to fit my measurements. The seller is from japan and the same designer dress is worth $24,000 (I was shocked when I saw the same dress on TV for that price)

The only thing I'm worried about is that I will be too hot in this dress. But it's sleeveless so maybe it won't be. And it's not like the fabric will be clinging to my legs , warming me up. I imagine it being airy or breathable in all that space under the skirt part. I know the ideal outdoor summer dress would be light weight but has anyone wore a dress like this all day outdoors on their summer wedding dress?

The dress on ebay:

Impayable Wedding Dress Bridal/Bridesmaid/Prom/Gown - eBay (item 370205768497 end time Sep-20-09 08:56:33 PDT)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2009, 01:31 PM

I hate to be discouraging but it looks like a Winter bridal gown. Nothing "summery" about it.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2009, 01:35 PM

The layers of the skirt would be very hot because it's not going to be "airy" underneath. It looks like it has layers upon layers of fabric.

Is the wedding inside? If so, I don't see what difference it'd make.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Aug 21, 2009, 02:05 PM

I'm thinking that dress is far too hot. I think that a nice summery or destination style wedding dress with one layer of fabirc would suit you great. I'm just afraid that you would melt like an ice cube in hell. Sorry sweets...
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Aug 22, 2009, 02:18 AM
    It really is a beautiful dress. But I agree with the others, it doesn't seem appropriate for a summer wedding.

Even if the dinner, reception is in an air conditioned building, you'll still be outdoors getting to and from the church, off to get pictures, etc.

Personally, I'd go for something lighter that will be much more comfortable for a summer wedding.

Aug 26, 2009, 03:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I hate to be discouraging but it looks like a Winter bridal gown. Nothing "summery" about it.
    Well my wedding decorations and "theme" is like victorian with lots of lace, antiques, terrariums, rusted iron bird cages... and I think the dress is kind of like that since it's a fancy ball gown. And I'm going to have my hair up like kirsten dunst when she played marrie antwanett like this:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...bles/hair4.jpg

I don't really care if it doesn't LOOK summery, I just don't want to be all sweaty

Aug 26, 2009, 03:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikosmom View Post
    The layers of the skirt would be very hot because it's not going to be "airy" underneath. It looks like it has layers upon layers of fabric.

Is the wedding inside? If so, I don't see what difference it'd make.
    No it'll be outside. My grandma loves the dress and she told me to just wear lots of deodorant. Ha ha

Aug 26, 2009, 03:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake2008 View Post
    It really is a beautiful dress. But I agree with the others, it doesn't seem appropriate for a summer wedding.

Even if the dinner, reception is in an air conditioned building, you'll still be outdoors getting to and from the church, off to get pictures, etc.

Personally, I'd go for something lighter that will be much more comfortable for a summer wedding.
    Yeah it is a different vibe than the face painting and pinyata. The dress was originally for a winter wedding and I'm having a hard time looking for something else. I can't find anything else I love as much and for soooooo cheap for such a nice dress. I'm trying to find a cheap vintage dress that won't be so hot
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Aug 26, 2009, 03:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by snotbubble View Post
    well my wedding decorations and "theme" is like victorian with lots of lace, antiques, terrariums, rusted iron bird cages... and i think the dress is kind of like that since it's a fancy ball gown. and i'm going to have my hair up like kirsten dunst when she played marrie antwanett like this:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...bles/hair4.jpg

i don't really care if it doesn't LOOK summery, i just don't want to be all sweaty
    Then why not look into something with a hoop skirt? Even if it has layering over top of that it still won't be against your legs. Plus, a hoop-style skirt would fit with the theme.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Aug 27, 2009, 08:40 AM

Is your theme kind of... renaissance?
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Aug 28, 2009, 08:51 AM

I can tell you that no matter what - you will get hot.

I wore a simple dress with a tank style top and not very full skirt to our June wedding. The weather was average (70-ish degrees) and I was sweltering. Outside pictures are the worst part - you can't avoid the sun completely. The major issue is (most) brides have undergarments that must be worn under their dress - which are tight to the skin and create several more layers.

Also, you'll be moving a lot, your adrenaline will be pumping, and you won't likely find much to eat/drink in the rush of things. Not to mention - you might feel warmer if you plan to drink alcohol.

The best thing to do is prepare. Have an emergency bag with deoderant and powder for your face. Try to be sure to have ice water/cool drinks to refresh yourself.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2009, 08:55 AM

And I think it looks like a winter dress and, at best, will look inappropriate - like the wedding was planned for winter and switched to summer.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2009, 10:34 AM

Just a small warning - Be careful of those e-bay dresses.

They are a lot cheaper for a reason.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Name of outdoor ball game [ 1 Answers ]

What is the name of a toy from either the late 70's or 80's of a ball with two cords through it, where players push the ball from one end to the other by pulling the cords outwards. It was a great outdoor/ family game that provided an excellent upper body workout.

Wedding Gown Slip [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a slip that I wore for my wedding in November. I bought it at davids bridal. It was 60.00. I only wore it the once and I have no use for it! It is very fluffy! I believe it is a size 9. If anyone has a need for one please contact me and we can work something out!

Wedding Gown [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, I'm Maria, I am having a military wedding next year Sep. I decided that my colors will be Alsmeer Gold and Navy Blue Because of the groom's Class blue uniform. I chose sunflowers and Hepatica nobilis they look perfect together. My bridesmaid I would like to see them In Navy blue dress with...

Wedding Gown [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is 30 years old and has lived on her own for over 10 years. She has owned her own home for 10 years. She is getting married in June and she and her fiancé had their wedding arrangements and plans all made when they announced their engagement to the family. Her father and I have been...

View more questions Search