Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LadyBo Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2009, 08:21 AM
    Percentage and Annual percentage growth. Tricky
    Hi there, I'm trying to work out the following question, but I am finding this question quite a struggle.
    I can find out the overall percentage for two sets of data for example year-to-year percentage growth, but I don't know how to even start this question, still no success!
    Here's the question:

A sum of money was invested in a risky fund which has increased in value over the last four years by 17%, 13%, -6% and 0% respectively. What is the overall percentage growth in the fund over this period and what is the average annual percentage growth?

Your help is my last resort!
    Thanks
    x
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Aug 21, 2009, 10:48 AM

Just calculate it on a year by year basis.

After the first year, you have 1.17 times as much money as you started. After the second, you have 1.13 times as much as you did after year 1. After year 3, you have 0.94 times as much as you did at the end of year 2. After year 4, you have the same amount as after year 3.

So, the total growth is

, which means that the initial investment grew by 24.3% over those four years.

Notice that we simply multiply all of the annual returns together. To find out what the average percent growth is over four years, we need to know what number, multiplied by itself four times, will give us 1.2428. The answer is, of course, simply the fourth root!

Thus, the average annual growth rate was about 5.6%.

Make sense?
    LadyBo Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2009, 11:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaron2 View Post
    Just calculate it on a year by year basis.

After the first year, you have 1.17 times as much money as you started. After the second, you have 1.13 times as much as you did after year 1. After year 3, you have 0.94 times as much as you did at the end of year 2. After year 4, you have the same amount as after year 3.

So, the total growth is

, which means that the initial investment grew by 24.3% over those four years.

Notice that we simply multiply all of the annual returns together. To find out what the average percent growth is over four years, we need to know what number, multiplied by itself four times, will give us 1.2428. The answer is, of course, simply the fourth root!

Thus, the average anual growth rate was about 5.6%.

Make sense?
    You should be my Math teacher. Clearly i do not understand my current one.
    You're awesome!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

The percentage of tax [ 1 Answers ]

What is the percentage of tax in bangladesh for a women?

Calculate Percentage [ 1 Answers ]

How do I calculate 17% of $15,600?

How do I get a percentage on a bar graph [ 4 Answers ]

I am using Microsoft excel 2007. From the data on the spreadsheet I want to insert bar graph displaying percentages (like a pie graph). I am doing a scientific report for uni... and as part of it I have surveyed 41 people on what memory strategies they use at home, work or uni. When I apply the...

Tax percentage for CPT [ 1 Answers ]

I joined a company for CPT with an hourly pay of 20$ in California two weeks before. I am in F1 student visa. How much percentage will the Federal and State tax would be?I still haven't received my first pay yet. Do I have to pay social security and medicare taxes?

View more questions Search