Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nancy_Alman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2009, 10:03 PM
    Called Costume Jewelry?
    I had this piece of jewelry appraised in 1994 for $860.00. It's a 14 karat yellow gold freeform pendant, containing 1 round brilliant cut cubic zirconia stone, prong set. Today I went to a jewelry store to sell it. They told me this is not worth anything, it is costume jewelry. Why at one time it was appraised for $860.00 & now this store says it's worthless? Please help.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 20, 2009, 10:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy_Alman View Post
    I had this piece of jewelry appraised in 1994 for $860.00. It's a 14 karat yellow gold freeform pendant, containing 1 round brilliant cut cubic zirconia stone, prong set. Today I went to a jewelry store to sell it. They told me this is not worth anything, it is costume jewelry. Why at one time it was appraised for $860.00 & now this store says it's worthless? Please help.
    Do you have the appraisal, did you bring it with you when you tried to sell it?

Did you go to the same jewelry store that appraised it?

How much did you pay for it?

Sadly, cubic zirconia is considered costume jewelry, but the gold should be worth something.

Your best bet would be to sell it on Ebay or go somewhere that buys gold. The stone, well, it's probably worthless as it isn't a precious stone, only a manufactured one.
    jennnaaaay Posts: 36, Reputation: 5

Aug 20, 2009, 10:11 PM

Because CZs aren't worth anything and yellow gold isn't in fashion. They say yellow gold might return to trend soon but its not for sure... try selling it on eBay. You won't get anywhere near 860.00 for it anywhere in the next decade. White gold and platinum are the most wanted metals for fine jewelry. Maybe take $50 and replace the CZ with a precious stone like an amethyst.
    PattiRabbit Posts: 16, Reputation: 0

Sep 8, 2009, 01:49 PM

Yellow gold may not be "in vogue" right now... but it's still gold, and 14kt gold should be worth a pretty penny. Don't let anyone fool you. If it's real 14kt gold, not plated or gold-filled, then be sure you get a good price for it. Gold is at almost $1000.00 per troy ounce right now. 14kt gold is 58.3% pure gold.
    Good luck.
    fyregoddess Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2009, 12:53 PM
    You can have your jewelry tested at any pawn shop-but be careful that they don't file too much or cut into it. Have it tested in an inconspicuous place.Btw they don't charge for testing a piece of jewelry.however don't pawn it they only offer you a fraction of what it's worth.
    jennycarol Posts: 72, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2009, 02:13 AM
    The cubic zirconia stone is definitely not worth selling, since it is fake diamond.

But you should get paid for the 14K gold. Although yellow gold is not in fashion, but still its worth if its genuine Gold. Try selling it to some other jeweler.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Costume Party [ 4 Answers ]

A couple was invited to a swanky family masked fancy dress Halloween party. The wife got a terrible headache and told her husband to go to the party alone. He, being a devoted husband, protested, but she argued and s aid she was going to take Some aspirin and go to bed and there was no need...

How to make elf costume [ 1 Answers ]

I am doing this christmas thing and I need a elf costume does anyone have a idea how to MAKE a elf costume or what to use? Also any ideas on how to make Elf ears?

Bharatnatyam costume [ 1 Answers ]

What is the length of a bharatnatyam recital costume?

Trypsin Costume [ 1 Answers ]

I have to do a presentation to my chemistry class on the enzyme Trypsin. I need some help finding an idea for a prop or costume that I could wear. Does anyone have any ideas?

View more questions Search