Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Penelope29 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2009, 12:12 PM
    Salary or Hourly ?
    I work for a small company (about 40 people), based in Texas. The owner has everyone as salaried employees, not just managers. Is this legal ? He requires us to be on call and work longer hours when required, but does not want let us leave early or miss any time when we need to be out of the office during business hours, we have to make up for missed time. It doesn't seem fair, am I wrong ?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2009, 12:17 PM
    Hello P:

No, you're not wrong. But, if you stir the waters, you'll get fired. In these tough economic times, I don't know if I'd be the one making waves... Ok, that's wrong. Of course, I'd make waves. But, I could get another job easily...

So, the question is, what do YOU want to DO about it?

excon

Aug 20, 2009, 12:31 PM
    I would like to stand up to him, but haven't a clue the best way to do it. Where can I find legal reference to back me up ? I don't want to hire legal counsel, I hope it doesn't get that far...
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2009, 12:47 PM
    Hello again, P:

Here's what I would do. I'm not going to do the research for you, but if you Google hourly vs salary, you'll come up with all sorts of cites that'll discuss the differences in detail...

Once I had some good references to show my boss, I'd write him a very polite letter pointing out his obligations under the law, and your request that he adhere to them. Tell him further that you hope that the situation was an oversight but, that once informed of the law, you're sure that he'll comply. I'd leave it at that. I'd make NO threats.

Send your letter certified, return receipt requested. If he DOES fire you, you may be able to claim whistleblower status, and that his firing you is in retaliation for your letter. Of course, with a copy of the letter, you'll have PROOF.

excon

Aug 20, 2009, 01:24 PM
    I will keep looking to find the legal details... When I googled today, I found this site. I appreciate your responses and advice, thank you !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Salary vs hourly [ 3 Answers ]

If a person is salary do they get paid 40 hours per week and no overtime? If they are hourly they only get paid the hours they work including overtime at time and a half.

Salary vs Hourly, punching a clock on salary. [ 2 Answers ]

My company put me on salary a few years back. I still have to work overtime and I still have to punch a time card, I just dont get paid for any overtime hours. Also I have not gotten the standard raise that I used to get anymore. I was wondering is this fair practice?

Salary & Hourly [ 1 Answers ]

I currently work for an organization as a salaried employee. They want to hire me for some night hours at a different department. My question is... since I am salary at one job are the hours at the second job eligible for overtime? I will work about 20 hours at the night job. I want to know what is...

View more questions Search