Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2006, 08:07 PM
    Feeling worthless
    I lived with a woman for 3 years, had a son with her.
    Now I live by myself after having a family for 3 years.
    I felt as if she mentally abused me with her insults, which are making me feel worthless.
    I have 2 conflicting dilemmas here.
    1. I want to go back with her since I still love her.
    2. I want her to apologize for all the insults and for making me feel worthless.

She does not want to apologize and she wants me to forget her, It would be easier if we did not have a son in the middle.

What can I do? When I call her all I get is insults.
    electr0 Posts: 18, Reputation: 0

Oct 24, 2006, 08:18 PM
    First forget the insults. Just go and be cool and try to talk to her in personal about what you've been through and try to get her to understand you. Hope that helps:)
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Oct 24, 2006, 08:32 PM
    Hi Jaen,
    Admittedly, this is a difficult situation, and I'm not sure there are any easy answers.
    I guess the first hard truth that many people learn, is that just because you deeply love someone, that doesn't mean you can necessarily always live with them. This requires a great deal caring, cooperation and compromise on both parts. A good deal of the latter, to be sure.
    Secondly, you can't truly make anyone do anything, they don't really want to do. Least not apologize. And it sounds like she's really not ready to do that. The only thing you can do is give her her time and space, though do let her know that you're there if she needs you. She may come around in time, she may not.
    After you give her some time apart, I guess the best approach would be to appeal to her from your child's perspective. She cared for you enough at one time to bring a life into the world with you, and that child deserves the same sort of chance that you gave your relationship. He deserves both parents in his life, and not just on weekend visitations. Try as she might to push you out of her life, for whatever obscure reason she might have, your child will always be a continual reminder of what you once shared. She might as well, at least try to make the best of what you both have, together.
    Whatever you do, try to be patient with her.
    I wish you luck. Take care.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 25, 2006, 10:54 AM
    Your only obligation is to your child, so make sure you have an order for child support and visitation. You cannot change someone's mind or control their actions so forget the apology. Get over this relationship and make sure your child is loved, and well cared for. Keep contact with this woman to a minimum.
    Wildcat21 Posts: 3,582, Reputation: 435
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2006, 11:08 AM
    Listen to Talalniman - This is the correct answer.

You NEVER want to be with an abusive person - this is horrible. Horrible.

And it sounds like she will not change.

Be there for oyur son only - move on. You'll find someone else.

"She does not want to apologize and she wants me to forget her" - She gave you the correct answer.

She will always be abusive UNLESS she goes an sees professinal help.

NO ONE under any circunstances should put up with abuse - EVER!!

You sound like YOU need to work on YOU right now.

Be busy - workout, work HARDER at work, hang with friedns, family, religion, HOBBIES, get new hobbies
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Oct 25, 2006, 11:25 AM
    Accept that you are powerless over her, that she is sick and made you sick too. Abusive people do exactly that, its really contagious. Heal yourself. If not for your sake, for your child who will desperately need a better role model than his mother -- I am very earnest about this aspect. Learn to wear "armor" around her. Get help from a professional, if necessary as this is NOT easy stuff I am laying out here. The only reason I can see for exposure is for the sake of your child, visitations, etc and in those circumstances minimize your contact. Good luck.
    Wildcat21 Posts: 3,582, Reputation: 435
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2006, 11:54 AM
    YES -she has made you sick.
    thebaldwinfour Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Nov 23, 2007, 11:24 PM
    Don't show her that you are vulnerable to her abuse... your weakness is giving her a strange sense of power. I can't tell you that you will never get back together but what are you fighting for? Is this the kind of relationship you want to be in? All the time you are investing in trying to get her back should be invested in your child. You don't need to be around the abuse and either does your baby. You will be OK.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Feeling like everything is different [ 4 Answers ]

Recently I went away for a three-week course in another city, and since I got back my perception of everything in my life seems different. Not in a bad way - just different - so I am curious to know if anyone else has ever felt like this too. For example, I've always had hang-ups about my...

Tax credit for worthless stock inheritance [ 3 Answers ]

A worthless stock is part of my inheritance. Any tax value?

Knowing if stock is worthless [ 3 Answers ]

We bought 10,000 shares of stock in the late 90's in a "startup" company through a Canadian broker (we are in U.S.) which, as best we can tell, went belly-up. The brokerage gave us the stock certificate a few years ago. It is not traded anywhere. I would like to write it off as worthless stock....

I still have feeling for my ex [ 7 Answers ]

Hey You! Well I really like this guy and he asked my out a couple of days ago. I really do like him and would go out with him but for some reason I scared of getting hurt again.I think I still have feeling for my ex. In the past relationship my boyfriend cheated on me with this girl he goes to...

Deducting a worthless stock [ 1 Answers ]

A stock I bought about 3 years ago is now worthless. I can't sell, it has no value. How can I claim this loss? Can I simply use Schedule D? Or is there something else I have to do?

View more questions Search