Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    diverudy Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2009, 08:12 AM
    Eviction of a family member
    Do I have to provide written notice to evict a family member that is living in my home (in California) This is a family member that pays no rent and does not contribute to household expenses. She has been residing in the property for about a year. Thanks
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2009, 08:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by diverudy View Post
    Do I have to provide written notice to evict a family member that is living in my home (in California)
    Hello diver:

Yes. You have to treat her as a tenant and evict her according to your states landlord/tenant laws. We have a copy at the top of the real estate page on a sticky note.

excon
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2009, 08:41 AM

It also depends on your relationship to the family member and their status in the house. For instance, you cannot evict your wife, but you can evict your deadbeat sister.

Aug 20, 2009, 08:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    It also depends on your relationship to the family member and their status in the house. For instance, you cannot evict your wife, but you can evict your deadbeat sister.
    Thanks Steve... being an "expert dad" is priceless!! Everything else... not so much!

Aug 20, 2009, 08:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello diver:

Yes. You have to treat her as a tenant and evict her according to your states landlord/tenant laws. We have a copy at the top of the real estate page on a sticky note.

excon
    Thanks for the info, that is pretty much what I thought and even if it was not required, it seems like a smart way to proceed.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2009, 08:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by diverudy View Post
    Thanks Steve......being an "expert dad" is priceless!!!!! Everything else.....not so much!
    Thanks. Im actually only pretty good at that. Just ask my 3 year old who us angry at me because I won't let him use the computer. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Eviction of family member [ 6 Answers ]

Can a family member (21 years old) be evicted from home (Virginia)... not contributing to the household, unemployed, not looking for work, stealing from the house.

Family member eviction [ 1 Answers ]

My mom wants to evict my brother from her home. He has never paid rent been there for about 10 years. How should she do it.

Family member eviction [ 4 Answers ]

I need some legal advice regarding the eviction or removal of a family member in my household. My stepson, age 19, refuses to work and rarely does anything to help out. I own the property-the deed is in my name with my wife as secondary. Neither one of us can deal with him any longer, and he needs...

Eviction of family member [ 1 Answers ]

My 21 year old daughter is continuously stealing from me, and admitting people into my property through her bedroom window. The police tell me that without an eviction notice, I cannot throw her out. She has been diagnosed with asbergers( a high fuctioning autistic disorder) and is presently...

Eviction of a family member from a single family home [ 2 Answers ]

My brother who is about 37 years old lives with my father, sister and myself; my brother is an alcoholic and a drug addict and is verbally abusive to my father who is 71 years old and is also disabled. My father wants him to move out of the house; is there a specific amount of time, by law, that...

View more questions Search