Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Aug 20, 2009, 12:50 AM
    Eyebrow piercing not healing
    I got my eyebrow pierced in January. I followed all the care directions and didn't change the bar for several weeks. It's still not healed. It becomes mildly infected every few days. When I clean the crusties off in the morning it sometimes pusses, so I clean it. I use an aftercare solution from an ear piercing kit (which contains benzalkonium, chloride .12% W/W, and purified water) or bactine to clean my eyebrow and either the aftercare solution or rubbing alcohol to clean the bar, when I remove it. I still clean it everyday, even if all I do is wipe the bar with a q-tip and move it around to clean all of it and get the solution into the piercing.

There are no signs of rejection or migration. I researched the aftercare solution before I started using it on my eyebrow and nothing I found said I couldn't use it on a facial piercing. The bars I use are surgical steel. I haven't been swimming in pools, hot tubs, or other bodies of water since I got it pierced. It's just not healing completely.

It still bleeds sometimes, usually after cleaning it or if I accidentally snag it. That doesn't bother me as much as it getting infected repeatedly.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on what I could use to keep it from getting infected and to help it finish healing?
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2009, 01:42 AM

You need to take it out.
    Any infection anywhere in your body is dangerous and it can spread to vital organs and its just not really worth it is it to have that ring on there ,is it ?
    Seriously,you need to get rid of it before it spreads to your heart.
    No kidding!
    Experts

Aug 20, 2009, 02:06 AM

I honestly don't see that as a danger. I'd rather have it heal than take it out.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2009, 02:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hheath541 View Post
    i honestly don't see that as a danger. I'd rather have it heal than take it out.
    Infection is a danger.It can spread. I can see trying to work this out for a time but ,how long?
    The point is ,its not healing for whatever reason.
    Clearly,you have done all you can on your own but there is a potential for this infection to spread.
    I do believe if something is not healing after six months it is beyond repair.
    Call a piercing shop and ask them what they think.
    You have been astute in your care but its not working so you need to do something else.
    Best of luck!
    babeygurl_08 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2009, 08:43 PM

I that there is deffinetely an infection there, it should be healing by now and if it gets an infection every once in a while that's not good, and that just means your body can't handle piercing. And eyebrow rings,belly button rings, and nipple rings are very prone to rejecting and migrating. But if the infection and bleeding persists I would say take it out, wait about 4 months and then get it re-pierced.

ALSO, it could be the type of METAL you have it pierced with. Every piercing shop does it with surgical grade steel, which is used for surgerys etc; But some people can't have that in there bodies, and usually titanium or gold helps with that. Because it sounds like you could also be allergic to that type of metal.

But best of luck !
    Experts

Aug 28, 2009, 08:48 PM

It's not a metal allergy. I have my ears pierced and the very few times I've had a reaction to earrings it has always just caused mild redness and itching, and that was always with really cheap metals. I've never had a problem with surgical steel in my ears.

It's doing better now. I think it just needed me to clean it everyday with disinfectant instead of just washing it.
    babeygurl_08 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2009, 08:53 PM

Ears are totally different than the other parts of your body that you get pierced. And every piercer I've asked has told me that.

And yes that could have very well been the problem, but hopefully everything works out for you ! Good Luck.
    sheema_1 Posts: 70, Reputation: 3

Sep 16, 2009, 04:02 AM
    Hey, I have 2 eyebrow piercings and my first healed fine, 2nd nxt to the first has had some prob and wouldn't heal just like yours... Found out the bar I had wasn't letting out all the crap and little things such as make up, Hair follicle and oils irritated it.

So I replaced the bar with a ring and left it to heal... Since then I have had no prob and gone back to my bar
    rubbing alcohol to clean the bar, can also irritate the skin as it will dry it completely out, But on the other hand it's not good to over clean a piercing either. Lol

Hopefully in time yours sill settle dwn too =] best of luck
    mugger Posts: 191, Reputation: 26

Sep 16, 2009, 12:39 PM

Anytime it snags, it will start the healing process over. Definitely try another type of metal (gold, titanium) or let it all heal up and get it pierced in a few months.
    And... don't over clean- it just makes things take longer.
    ttflowers33 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2009, 08:54 PM
    I have had a few piercings that took a long time to heal. It is possible that the irritation of the bar keeps the area inflamed which leaves it susceptible to infection from everyday common bacteria like that in your skin oils, hair or just the air. The downside is you are pressing your luck, so far it does not sound like you have had a major infection, but it has been a long run of good luck. You need a little assistance, consider seeing a doctor if you want to keep the piercing, an antibiotic may kill any bacteris that gets into the area while it is still open and maybe consider an ointment to keep the area sealed after you have cleaned it. Now I know most doctors don't seem like a likely answer, because they can seem judgemental, but being that I work closely with them I can tell you they are no strangers to piercings and their downsides so I believe they will be more concerned with handling the problem then judging you, lol. Good luck and again if you want to keep the piercing then see a doctor before it does get out of hand.
    kittylick Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2010, 07:57 AM
    Hi my eyebrow ring is very touchy to. I got it perced 2 months ago and it gets ***** on and off if I don't soak it in salt water (sea salt) and then just warm water everyday it can get bad. Make sure your hair that might have hair products in it is toutching it. I know that if makeup and stuff like that get on it it will puss the next day. In my opinion if its infected still and pussing soaking it repeatedly in (SALT WATER) is only going to make it better.. . not worse. Some people can't handle cleaners like that chloride stuff you are using.. its to hard on the infectiond.. it kills the good and bad bacteria so it can't heal. Because by the time the good bacteria is back to heal it you kill it again with that stuff. If you use the salt water you will notice that your percing will puss a lot right away .because its getting out all the bad stuff.
    Experts

Oct 3, 2010, 10:50 AM

I took it out about 6-8 months ago to make job hunting easier. Now it's just a scar. Thanks for trying to help, though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Piercing eyebrow [ 11 Answers ]

Did the eye brow piercing hurt as much as I think it would?

Eyebrow piercing [ 12 Answers ]

I've been thinking about getting a eyebrow piercing but I don't know were to get it done at. Do I haft to be 18 to get it done because I won't be 18 for another 53 days and I like to get it down in the next few weeks. I like to have mine done the same way a guy I know had is done when he was in...

My eyebrow piercing [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question Okay well I got my eyebrow pierced about 2 months ago and its healing pretty good I clean it regularly. But the other day I noticed something, I was cleaning my piercing and hair started falling off my eyebrow and I want to know if its cause I'm cleaning it too much and will it...

My eyebrow piercing. [ 3 Answers ]

Okay so yesterday I noticed my left eyebrow piercing was just a tad swollen, and today it's a little bit more swollen. There's no redness around the piercing, no lumps or anything of the sort. It's just a little swollen. I clean it everyday, I use a medicated soap my piercer gave me to wash my face...

Eyebrow piercing [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, I have been wanting to get an eyebrow piercing for some time now, unfortunately the job that I have doesn't allow me to look like anything other than a character from a 1950's T.V. show. I have tried to find out information on any way to get the piercing and keep it open while at work...

View more questions Search