Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fixitguy52 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2009, 11:34 PM
    Removing door hinge screws.
    I am replacing my interior doors (12) with new ones including the brass hinges. They are the original ones in an 18 year old house. The doors are removed, but the hinges on the house frame side are stubborn to remove. That is, the wood screws are stuck in there. I believe they are brass and are soft metal-wise. As I try to remove them with the proper size screw driver, the heads start to round off. I stopped then because if I kept trying with more pressure on the screw, the head could be totally rounded off. Or they may break off. How might I remove them without damaging the door frames? Any techniques or tricks of the trade would be appreciated. Some come off easily, but the remainder of them are @@@@%@%*^#!
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2009, 02:15 AM

There is a tool made for removing screws with bad heads. It is called ''easy out''.

U will find it in most hardware stores and tool section of big box stores.

Good luck

Chuck
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 20, 2009, 05:27 AM

Bet those screws are filled with paint. Clean out the slots of the screw head before you attempt to remove. If you just put you screwdriver in the screw then tap it lightly with a hammer you usually get enough bite to turn it. But you have to do that before you try to turn it. The screws may be brass but more likely there are brass-plated steel. Brass is just to soft for this application.
    The ones you have already mucked up, drill out the heads with a small drill bit then try to remove the shank with a small pair of vise grip pliers. If you can't get the shank out with pliers drill a couple of small holes (1/16") along the side of the screw and remove. Then fill the hole with a plastic anchor or a wooden plug and glue.

Do not attempt to remove with power screwdriver. You could try cutting a new slot in the screw head with a 1/4" chisel then use a flat bladed screwdriver.
    EZHangDoor Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2010, 08:08 PM

Sometimes it's simpler to replace doors with a prehung unit instead of just the door slabs. It can be difficult to line up the hinge mortise of the old jambs and new door.
    nortonalberta Posts: 58, Reputation: 2

Feb 1, 2010, 05:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fixitguy52 View Post
    I am replacing my interior doors (12) with new ones including the brass hinges. They are the original ones in an 18 year old house. The doors are removed, but the hinges on the house frame side are stubborn to remove. That is, the wood screws are stuck in there. I believe they are brass and are soft metal-wise. As I try to remove them with the proper size screw driver, the heads start to round off. I stopped then because if I kept trying with more pressure on the screw, the head could be totaly rounded off. Or they may break off. How might I remove them without damaging the door frames? Any techniques or tricks of the trade would be appreciated. Some come off easily, but the remainder of them are @@@@%@%*^#!!
    Sorry just noticed the post date
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Feb 6, 2010, 07:33 PM

You could try putting a thin flat screwdriver behind the hinge and applying pressure while trying to remove the screws.
    sdkeywords Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2010, 12:44 AM
    Proper door hinge upkeep is important to ensure a pleasant, functional home environment. Additionally, State Farm Insurance even indicates that proper hinges are a vital part of door security and stability, keeping your home safe. Unfortunately, even the best door hinges will need replacement eventually. Removing a door hinge appears complicated at first glance, but the process is not very difficult with two people and some simple tools. Despite being relatively simple, following the proper steps is crucial, because improper hinge removal can cause damage.
    Doors Windows Manufacturers

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Activate self closing door hinge [ 4 Answers ]

I have a door with 2 IMP self closing hinges on it but the door didn't come with them activated on it and I can't figure out how to get it I have the tools I just can't figure it out Thanks

Adjusting tension in a door hinge. [ 1 Answers ]

How do you adjust the tension in the door hinges on the door going from the house into the garage?

Reset door hinge tension? [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently moved into my home and discovered the door going into the garage has self closing hinges. I need to know the procedure of how to reset the tension allowing the hinges to close the door?

Door hinge rotten wood area [ 2 Answers ]

My door hinge that attached to the jamb will take a screw, because the wood has Rotted in the jamb. I know I could relocate the hinge to another part of the door. I would have to mortise. Another option is to fill in the decaying wood with wood Dough so the screw would have a better...

Removing a self closing door hinge [ 2 Answers ]

I want to temporarily remove a self-closing door hinge (to install a dog door). Is there an easy way to do this without removing one half of the hinge from the door or jam (like removing the pins on standard hinges)? There are a couple of allen screws in the unit (one on top, one on the bottom of...

View more questions Search