Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hawkeye1974 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2009, 08:06 PM
    16 hp motor compression stroke hang up
    I have a briggs and stratton 16 hp motor that will free spin with the spark plug out. With the spark plug in it comes to a complete stop on the compression stroke after a single revolution. By hand I can turn it past the compression stroke and when I hit the key it will spin until it reaches the compression stroke once again. Where would be a good place to start to track the problem.

John deer sabre model 28q777 type 0662-e1 code 9712122d
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2009, 08:17 PM

Valve adjustment.

What your probably seeing is the "compression release" system working.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Aug 20, 2009, 08:46 AM

Hi,
    That ubiquitous YouTube video is helpful.
    YouTube - Lawn Mower Repair Valve Adjustment
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compression release 15.5 briggs motor [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 15.5 Briggs and stratton engine on a Snapper mower and from what I have read in other forums I believe the compression release is not working the way it should. Not knowing a lot about engines I have so far replaced the starter (I broke it) the solenoid, and battery cables. The...

How can you ddifferntiate between a Mercury 2-stroke and 4-stroke outboard 5 horse? [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently acquired a 5 horse mercury freshwater, outboard, transum hung engine. What Im not sure of is do I mix the gas with oil or not. Thanks

Old compression nut and compression sleeve [ 27 Answers ]

We have a shut off valve with a slow leak, about a teaspoonful every 10 hours. I want to replace the valve but the copper pipe to which it's attached is too short not allowing me to cut off the old compression sleeve. It's to my understanding that I may use the old compression nut and...

View more questions Search