Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FutureStepParen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2009, 01:19 PM
    Claiming your kids on taxes when custodial parent doesn't even work
    My boyfriend pays quite a bit in child support.
    His ex-wife with his 2 kids and her new child and new husband recently re-located to the LA area from Texas.
    The ex-wife doesn't work and yet her new husband claims my boyfriend's kids on his taxes. It doesn't seem fair that another man is claiming these children on taxes.
    My boyfriend pays a substantial amount, always pays for extras like summer camp, new clothes, haircuts, contacts... things like that.
    The kids do live with her a majority of the time except the every other weekend/holidays typical schedule.
    Child support is determined by her not working and he is working and the new husband is claiming his step children.
    Is my boyfriend getting screwed and should pursue this is court or is this just the way it is and we should get over it?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2009, 01:32 PM

I think it is --just the way it works and you have to get over it.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2009, 04:20 AM

The custodial parent usually is given the tax exemptions and can assign them to whomever they want (according to the laws of the IRS). What they are doing is perfectly legal and not at all uncommon.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Custodial Parent has unregistered and uninsured car - kids want driver permits [ 33 Answers ]

I'm not sure that this belongs in Family Law, so I may need to post under Insurance too. My two teenage kids live full time with their father, who has not registered his car this year. Given all his other "circumstances" it's probably safe to assume he didn't register because he doesn't have...

Custodial parent claiming child as a dependent. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello and thanks in advance for any advice give. My wife has four children from a previous marriage. She has custodial rights for all four and her ex pays child support on all four. For the past few years two children have been living with him by their choice and we have been reimbursing...

Claiming non-custodial dependents on taxes [ 4 Answers ]

My 5 year old daughter and I live with my boyfriend and have so since June of last year. I have full custody of her and we have just had a baby 2 weeks ago. During my pregnancy last year there were a few months where I was unable to work and when I did finally find a suitable job for my condition I...

Non custodial parent fraudalently claimed kids 2006 [ 4 Answers ]

My children's father filed both kids on his taxes without my permission, the return was referred to child support and given to one of his other children and none to mine, I didn't file last year because of this, but now since I wasn't paid I really want to file this year, but don't want to tie up...

View more questions Search