Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    StainedGlass18 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2009, 07:56 AM
    Stained Glass Hourly Rate?
    I am hoping you can either help answer my question or point me in the right direction. I am trying to find an average hourly rate charged by people who make stained glass sculptures/products.

My father designs and makes stained glass sculptures (his latest was a 3-D bird with arched wings). Typically he does this because he likes to and it is fun for him (he’s retired). But, on occasion, people ask him to make something for them. He gets very uncomfortable trying to figure out what to charge them. He is fine charging them for materials, but does not know what is appropriate to tell them for his time and labor. He lives outside of Baltimore, MD if that helps.

Is there a standard or average hourly rate? Is there somewhere else I can look for this information if you do not have it? Any information or insight would be appreciated!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 19, 2009, 09:04 AM

Stainedglassl8, I do commissioned stained glass but only charge an hourly rate for repairs and this $35. Per hour because I know almost exactly by looking at the piece what has to be done. Therefore when I am asked for an estimate, after looking, I can tell pretty well give a good estimate.

I have never charged by hour for commission work, but charge by the piece depending on how large, built in or to be hung, type of glass (as your father will know, some stained glass is more expensive then others) because of the texture, colour, etc. If it is a fairly large piece I go by the pieces cut, etc. say $l0 per piece (of cut glass). If I have to install it, depending on the piece, I charge extra for that, that is, do not include it in the finished product.

I hope this helps your dad and you decide. Good luck.

Ms tickle
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Aug 19, 2009, 09:12 PM
    The suggestion I had from an art professor was to pay yourself at least minimum wage plus supplies for any art piece.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2009, 03:06 AM
    Hi, StainedGlass18!

What would your dad like to be making per hour for the kind of work that he does?

Thanks!
    Expert

Aug 20, 2009, 04:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hheath541 View Post
    the suggestion i had from an art professor was to pay yourself at least minimum wage plus supplies for any art piece.
    That suggestion is absolutely ridiculous. If I did that, I would be giving it away ! Do you have any idea what goes into this work ?

Incredulous tick
    Experts

Aug 20, 2009, 04:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    That suggestion is absolutely rediculous. If I did that, I would be giving it away ! Do you have any idea what goes into this work ?

incredulous tick
    That's why I said 'at least minimum wage.' the exact amount does depend on the individual and the work they put into a piece. It's a starting point, not a hard-and-fast rule.

Hell, if I only charge minimum wage for my art then I WOULD be giving it away. If you discount drying and setting time, I can make one of my ceramic miniatures in 10-30 minutes, on average. 50lbs of clay costs $20. If I charged only minimum wage and supplies I would be charging $2-4 per piece.

Technical ability, demand, the creative process, amount and quality of competition, medium, and quality of work in the final product also have to be considered. Charging $35 an hour for stained glass is acceptable, while charging $35 an hour for a ceramic miniature is not. At the same time, no one will pay $35 an hour for poorly done stained glass or a piece they could get done by another artist, at the same quality, for a cheaper price.

There are several factors to consider. Allowing yourself at least minimum wage is just a place to start. You can always give yourself a raise for every year you've been creating and the level you see your artwork at, or even just because you feel like it and can. There's no exact science to pricing artwork.
    Expert

Aug 20, 2009, 05:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hheath541 View Post
    that's why i said 'at least minimum wage.' the exact amount does depend on the individual and the work they put into a piece. it's a starting point, not a hard-and-fast rule.

hell, if i only charge minimum wage for my art then i WOULD be giving it away. if you discount drying and setting time, i can make one of my ceramic miniatures in 10-30 minutes, on average. 50lbs of clay costs $20. if i charged only minimum wage and supplies i would be charging $2-4 per piece.

technical ability, demand, the creative process, amount and quality of competition, medium, and quality of work in the final product also have to be considered. charging $35 an hour for stained glass is acceptable, while charging $35 an hour for a ceramic miniature is not. at the same time, no one will pay $35 an hour for poorly done stained glass or a piece they could get done by another artist, at the same quality, for a cheaper price.

there are several factors to consider. allowing yourself at least minimum wage is just a place to start. you can always give yourself a raise for every year you've been creating and the level you see your artwork at, or even just because you feel like it and can. there's no exact science to pricing artwork.
    Hi again, hheath541, I do get your point, but,. I couldn't charge by the hour, the finished product would be priced way out of this world at $35. Per hour, stained glass is so labour intensive and there isn't any possibility of going back and correcting a mistake after the glass is cut. Start over again. No stained glass artisan in my community charges by the hour for this reason. It is by the piece (of stained glass) depending on the type of glass one uses and some of it is $45.00 per square foot, because the texture process is so rare. I have actually used stained glass that was 'in folds', now picture that if you will and then the quandary on cutting and allowing for breakage.

These are all good replies for the OP.

Best regards

Ms tickle
    Experts

Aug 20, 2009, 05:57 AM

yeah, I've seen a stained glass studio and got to see some of the work that goes into a piece, and some of the supplies used. It's not something I will ever have the ability or patience to do. I like clay because it's forgiving. If I mess up all I have to do is punch it a few times and start over ^_^
    glassannie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2010, 07:18 AM

I have struggled with this for more than 30 years.
    Factors to consider include:
    What area of the country are you living and working in, is there much demand for glass there, how much do you need to cover your rent and other ongoing expenses, of course time spent designing, choosing glass, not to mention choosing colors and method of construction.

For instance many costs have more than doubled recently, rents have risen inordinately in this area... blah blah blah.. I charge $12.00 per piece or 150.00 per square foot, whichever is more.. on the advice of a more experienced friend.
    And does it matter if you are not established?
    I say, no.

But with qualifications.. You must be doing professional work.. sturdy, well finished, well considered with the consumer in mind.

That advice help take me off the hook for deciding.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hourly Rate for Bookkeeping [ 9 Answers ]

A friend of a friend is just starting up a construction company and has asked me to do his book keeping. Although I have never actually worked as a bookkeeper, bookkeeping has been an aspect for several of my jobs giving me about 12 years experience. While he is starting up the company, he...

Daycare hourly rate [ 5 Answers ]

In general what do you suppose the daycare will charge you By the hour. Someone told me even on a weekly arrangement if you do not bring in the child for one day you still have to pay for the whole week.

Calculating hourly rate [ 1 Answers ]

An employee gets pay $1352.50 bi-monthly. How do you calculate the hourly rate? School employee that only works 184 days a year. Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Ebay stained glass [ 5 Answers ]

I have so many pieces that I have made now, and I love doing them. I live in a small town, in a sparsely populated state, so the demand for stained glass is pretty low (selling wise). I have quite a bit of experience selling and buying on Ebay, so I thought about selling a few of the smaller pieces...

View more questions Search