Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    puffykitty Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2006, 04:46 PM
    Do I still get alimony if husband takes custody of children after the divorce
    When I got divorced we both got joint custody of children and I got child support and alimony awarded to me for 3 and a half years after,my ex took me back to court and gained custody of children should he still be paying me alimony?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2006, 06:48 PM
    Hello puffy:

Yes. Custody of the children has nothing to do with alimony. However, you should now be paying child support. Maybe that's going to be a wash.

excon
    velvetjones Posts: 78, Reputation: 11

Oct 25, 2006, 02:44 PM
    Why do you need alimony?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2006, 07:31 PM
    Possibly. It depends on how long he was ordered to pay the alimony and what factors were taken into consideration when the alimony was awarded. Child support is a separate issue. Now that he has custody he will no longer be paying that but that doesn't automatically end the alimony. Alimony is for you, child support is for the kids.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Determining Suitibility for custody of children [ 8 Answers ]

I know that most courts tend to decide that children in most cases belong with the mother unless there is some issue relative to abuse or neglect. This seems to have been a long standing generalization. I have a situation where the husband and father of the children is threatening his wife that...

Regaining Custody of My Children [ 8 Answers ]

I, too am attempting to regain custody of my children. Mine, however is more of an economical "battle" in that my children were with me for 6 years following a divorce, but now after having to represent myself in Pro Per against my ex-husband's mother's ($$$ and) attorney I found to my surprise,...

Bathtub leak only when husband takes shower [ 9 Answers ]

I have a strange question... we have a leak in our kitchen ceiling, directly under bath #1. The plumber came out twice and even reset the toilet in bath #1, but the problem still occurs. We determined it only occurs when my husband (not me, not my kids) takes a shower in bath #2, which is NOT...

X-husband defaulting on divorce decree [ 11 Answers ]

My former spouse agreed to pay me 25% (net) of his pending worker's comp claim in our divorce decree. However, he was successful in turning his "pending" comp claim into (2) separate back injuries to keep from paying me an extra $20,000.00. He did this by claiming he "reinjured his back 60 days...

Husband wants custody [ 7 Answers ]

My husband and I separated 2 months ago. We live in ontario. Our son is 2 1/2. Until now - I have been giving him visitation rights on a verbal agreement only- and we are in the process of debating the separation agreement. He sees him every other weekend, and tues. and thurs. eve.'s. He...

View more questions Search