Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 18, 2009, 12:55 PM
    12v Malibu outdoor lighting
    I can't believe I am being humbled by this simple low voltage outdoor lighting system but I am. Spent hours on a job that should be minute. Transformer is on as well as other lights. This one light tests good for voltage to the fixture before connecting the fixture. When I connect the 2 wires I get no voltage even right at that connection point. If I pull the halogen bulb out of the socket I test low voltage at both the connection and the socket. Installed another identical fixture, same problem. Bulb tests good. What the heck am I missing guys??

Thanks,
    Bob
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2009, 01:01 PM
    Sounds like a short. But there should be a fuse to blow on the 12 volt side.

Could be a series circuit? With a short?

Really need a diagram of connections, pictures if possible, check the transformer for 12 volt output? And that goes to zero when you connect a fixture?

Aug 18, 2009, 01:10 PM

This is a series of lights and all other lights are working up to this one bad fixture. With no bulb pushed into the socket I get a good test for voltage by inserting my 2 test leads into the small socket. If I plug a bulb into the socket it does not light and there is no voltage at the slice, other lights do not dim or flicker. It is as if the bulb becomes the short but I tried 3 known bulbs and the same problem, voltage disappears and no light. I am thinking I will just start by replacing the main feeder line that runs down along this wooden walkway. I installed this for the HO 5 years ago and periodically have done repairs, never had a problem like this. I am sure any short would cause the other bulbs to dim or go out all together, no fuse that I know of with a Malibu transformer.
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2009, 04:03 AM
    Yea looks like Malibu transformers do not have a fuse for the low voltage circuit. If the problem is that one fixture, could be a bad socket or wiring in trhe fixture. Corrosion could be acting as a high resistance short, just right to not trip the breaker, transformer thinks it is a load, maybe too much load, causing the voltage to dip to zero.

Maybe just need a replacment fixture? Sounds like all the others work fine.

Seems the transformers are rated for a certain amount of lamps, the instructions explain to be sure to relamp burnouts quickly as if left alone the other lamps will fail due to high voltage.

http://www.malibulights.com/PDF/158ml12895.pdf

Aug 19, 2009, 05:35 AM

I decided to tear everything up and run a new main line to all the fixtures. When I opened the little black box connector I found the problem. Malibus use a box with small pins to connect the wires rather than a thumb nut. These tiny little pins are supposed to pierce the insulation and make contact with the wire inside. The first connector pin just barely touched the wire, enough for me to get a reading. Once A load was put on the line the poor connection apparently broke. Threw the box away and used thumb nuts and all lights are now working. Thanks
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2009, 05:45 AM

Yea, that piercing probe connection method is popular with these light kits, and are often a problem.

Good luck, now you can find your way home.

Aug 19, 2009, 09:49 AM

Thanks, you are the only one who gave this a shot.
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2009, 01:45 PM
    Hey no problem, must mean I got time on my hands. Right place right time.

Hopefully everyone is busy enjoying summer.

It finally arrived here in Maine. Even global warming is afraid of Maine weather.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outdoor lighting [ 2 Answers ]

I just had new vinyl siding placed on my house. Where the outside lights had been, they placed vinyl master mounts. There were no junction boxes previously, so the wires just stick out of the small opening on the master mounts. Should I use 4" round pvc boxes before mounting my new lights? ...

Outdoor lowvoltage lighting [ 9 Answers ]

I have some outdoor lighting that would stay on dusk to dawn. I also have a photocell controller that would keep a few of them on at a low setting but when some one would enter the walkway they would get brighter. It was made by Edison Lighting. It has stopped working and only stays on low. ...

Outdoor lighting [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to run a string of four lights outside of my place of business to brighten the parking lot at night. I am using 12-2 UF-B with Ground Outdoor Electrical Wire, a 40 amp timer, and four lights (rated at 120 v and 60 watts each). I have everything ran, but when I flip the breaker...

Outdoor lighting [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bays outdoor light with a dawn to dusk sensor, but it stays on all the time. I tried to buy a new sensor , but it's out of stock The light #240-336 is a coach lantern. Where canI get a sensor and how much do they cost?

Outdoor Spa and lighting [ 1 Answers ]

Dear all, Happy holiday's I have two 40amps in the main box that feeding the AC Unit. I would like to know if its possible and code pass in new Jersey, Piscataway. To tap into that conduit at a junction point and extend the required wires in a conduit 30-40 feet to a Spa 50/AMPS @ 240...

View more questions Search