Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brian0922 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2009, 12:07 PM
    Statute of Limitations Ontario Canada
    How does the Statute of Limitations in Ontario, affect debts (unsecured credit card) that were incurred prior to October 2003, and are now being chased by those companies that buy debt write=offs?

I filed bankruptcy in Feb 2003 and was discharged in Nov 2004, however my wife did not file and had debts incurred prior to Oct 2003, and has never been subject to collection agencies/debt buyers until the last 3 months. (We foolishly assumed her debts were covered under my filing... not so)

We have not acknowledged the debt, nor made any payment or promise of payment.

Do these characters have any legal recourse that I should be concerned with, as our situation has improved since 2004 and we now own a house?

Thanks,
    brian0922
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2009, 12:44 PM

Ontario - The Ontario Limitation Act 2002 , came into force on January 1, 2004. It sets two years as the term (Section 4). This limitation will be reinstated where the debtor acknowledges the debt or makes a partial payment towards repayment of his debt. If the default occurred prior to January 1, 2004, the creditor will continue to have 6 years to pursue the claim. However, if the default occurred after January 1, 2004 then the 2-year rule applies.

So any debt prior to Jan 04 has a 2 yr statute of limitations. Any after has a statute of 6 yrs.

But if there were payments it goes by the last payment made.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 18, 2009, 12:48 PM

They have no recourse unless they have a judgment against you or your wife, and even then, they can't take a lien on your house and most companies don't allow garnishment of wages.

Don't contact them by letter or phone, just let them rant on

Ontario - The Ontario Limitation Act 2002 , came into force on January 1, 2004. It sets two years as the term (Section 4). This limitation will be reinstated where the debtor acknowledges the debt or makes a partial payment towards repayment of his debt. If the default occurred prior to January 1, 2004, the creditor will continue to have 6 years to pursue the claim. However, if the default occurred after January 1, 2004 then the 2-year rule applies.
    Expert

Aug 18, 2009, 12:50 PM
    Hey, Nohelp... good minds think alike. How about that !

Tick
    Expert

Aug 18, 2009, 01:02 PM

Hey, again Nohelp, dimentia is more in my line and if you are on here too much, dimentia for you too !

Tick:eek:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ontario Statute of Limitations [ 5 Answers ]

This claim is in ONTARIO, CANADA A company made an unauthorized charge my credit card for $4791.38 around June, 2001. We made the last payment to the credit card company to pay for the other purchases (less the amount the company charged, which we disputed) within 30 days. The Credit card...

Statute of Limitations in the Province of Ontario, Canada [ 14 Answers ]

What is the Statute of Limitations in the Province of Ontario, Canada, regarding the launching of a civil suit for property damage and what must be done to interrupt such limitation?

Ontario Statute of Limitations [ 3 Answers ]

The statute of limitations does not apply to bench warrants. A bench warrant remains in effect until it is executed (i.e. you are arrested, or surrender yourself to the court), or heaven forbid, you die. In either case it holds true, and will not just simply "go away." I would contact a criminal...

Statute of Limitations in Ontario, Canada [ 5 Answers ]

Is there a statute of limitations on the criminal charges of obstruction and mischief. Waiting now for 1 and a half years to appear in Ontario Criminal Court. Also if found guilty is this a type of criminal record that would prevent me from traveling. I thank you in advance. P

What is the Statute of limitations in Ontario, Canada? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the Statute of limitations in Ontario, Canada when a lawyer makes an error in a Real Estate transaction which causes their client to lose money? When I purchased a piece of property back in the 1974’s, the electric, the hydro power and water required an easement to go through another...

View more questions Search