Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ryder3385 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2006, 02:55 PM
    Verbal occupancy - now landlord wants lease
    My "landlord" allowed me to move in about a month ago under the agreement (verbal) that there would be no lease and I would be paying on a month to month basis, now out of no where she wants me to sign a lease in which I do not6 agree with the terms of, is this legal? Can she evict me? Can there be compromise and a new lease agreement created? What do I do? :(
    n808 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Oct 25, 2006, 01:33 AM
    She needs to give you 30-45 days to move. It's the LAW. Talk to her. See if she feels you did, or will do, something negative to the property. READ the contract. What else did she throw at you.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2006, 04:00 AM
    You are now a legal resident on a verbal month to month occupancy. The landlord give you a 30 (or more depending on your state) day notice to move... or a 30-day notice to either sign the lease or move.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 25, 2006, 06:19 AM
    A month to month verbal agreement provides little protection for either the landlord or the tenant. The tenant can move with nothing more than 30 days notice and the landlord can raise the rent or change the conditions with just 30 days notice.

And that's what they are doing. If you don't agree with the terms of the lease, try negotiation. There is no reason you can't object to some terms and have them stricken if the two of you can agree.

I suspect the landlord may be new at this game and someone advised him of his mistake in not getting a lease. But the bottomline is, if he wants a lease, then you have to sign one or move within 30 days.
    Jrnyfn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2006, 06:50 AM
    I went to real estate school and I have learned that it is your word against hers . What I would do is first find out if the apartment you are rent is legal. Where I live people rent out there second floor to people and it is not legal. If your apartment isn't legal, if she threatens to evict you, then threaten her that you will take her to court..

Oct 25, 2006, 06:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrnyfn
    I went to real estate school and I have learned that it is your word against hers . What I would do is first find out if the apartment you are rent is legal. Where I live people rent out there second floor to people and it is not legal. If your apartment isn't legal, if she threatens to evict you, then threaten her that you will take her to court..
    Umm no. Whether this is an accessory apartment in someone's home (and there is no evidence of that in the OP) does not mean that the landlord doesn't have recourse to get someone out. Whether an accessory apartment is legal or not is a matter of zoning and tax issues. It usually doesn't have a bearing on landlord/tenant relations. Obviously, though, someone renting an illegal accessory apartment is less likely to take someone to court and MORE likely to use other means to remove a problem.

Second, it does not matter whether it's the tenant's word against the landlord's. The fact is they have nothing more than a month to month agreement. Such an agreement means that EITHER party can attempt to change the agreement with 30 days notice. So the landlord has every legal right to change their mind and require a lease be signed within 30 days.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2006, 07:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrnyfn
    Something must have gotten misunderstood in the RE classes. This is not how it works.

If a landlord lets a tenant move into an apartment without a lease, then there is the landlord-tenant relationship: The resident is a "tenant" in a verbal month to month agreement.

There really is no formal definition of a "legal apartment".

Oct 25, 2006, 07:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ
    There really is no formal definition of a "legal apartment".
    Actually I disagree with that. Zoning laws govern whether an apartment is legal or not. Each locality can and does formally define what represents a legal apartment. Some areas are not zoned for 2 family housing so renting an apartment or even a room, might be illegal in that area.

But I do agree that whether the apartment is legal or not doesn't bear on the landlord/tenant relationship. Such is handled by different branches of local government. A Court that has jurisdiction over that relationship probably doesn't have jurisdiction over the legality of the apartment. They could, however, report the landlord to the Zoning authority.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord making up own lease termination rules. [ 6 Answers ]

I'm new. So... I rented an apartment in Portland, Oregon starting Jan.1, 2006 with a 1 year lease. In May I had the opportunity to work in Japan for 6 months starting in June. I contacted the landlord and explained the situation. I told him I would be moving out and we agreed that I would...

Landlord keeping 1/2 of sec. Deposit due to 2 week notice- NO lease [ 8 Answers ]

I was renting an apt. for 750 / month (paid on the 15th of each month). It is a shared situation where my roommate and I each paid the landlord separately. I gave both my landlord and my roommate 2 weeks notice before I moved out. My roommate failed to replace me in 2 weeks and now needs until the...

Loan Verbal Agreement [ 6 Answers ]

I got a loan for a so called friend/ex roommate for about $2,000 under my name because she didn't have the credit. It was a verbal agreement and nothing in writing. This loan comes/use to out of my account monthly and she would pay me cash on time and/or until she got money to pay it all of or her...

Can a Landlord Break Their Own Lease? From Wisconsin [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, We've been having problems with quiet enjoyment in our new apartment home. We have neighbors next door to us with a surround sound system. The repetitive base noise has made living here very difficult to enjoy. Additionally, we have adjoining porches with this neighbor. They smoke on their...

Landlord Refusing to Give us Copy of Lease [ 5 Answers ]

I'm going to live in a house in New Brunswick, NJ with a couple of other people and we all signed the lease. Some of us paid for our security deposit and rent already, but some of the others us didn't. The landlord is refusing to give us a copy of the lease until more of us pay, although we're...

View more questions Search