Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justcurious50 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2009, 02:31 PM
    GI Bill Chapter 30 - Child Support?
    My son's dad was in the military when we got our child support established. Now, 4 years later, he's trying to lower his support.

He gets $660.50 per semester, I believe, for school from the GI Bill. From what I understand, he does NOT have to pay back what he doesn't use towards school.

Is this GI Bill money included in his income when we go to figure his new child support?

Thank you,
    justcurious50 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2009, 02:34 PM

The state is Texas. Sorry, I forgot to add that.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 17, 2009, 02:58 PM

Unless he is receiving a 1099 for it then it wouldn't be part of the calculation.
    armyguy2009 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2009, 01:54 PM
    No, his income is completely separate. The VA is giving him a BENEFIT, something that is completely different than income. He may choose to use some of it towards Child Support, but as per the VA, he doesn't have to. That would be like asking him to pay child support on his Mom giving him money every month. Another reason is that his Benefit isn't taxed as income throughout the year, and not reported on his taxes.

Good luck
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2009, 03:01 PM

GI Bill is not income. Its not reported to the IRS and not taxable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Chapter 13 and child support [ 3 Answers ]

Can a parent who is 2000.00 dollars behind on Child Support still file chapter 13,and not have to pay the back support.Or will chapter 13 catch him/her up.And that parent receicve a lump sum.Then it's up to him to stay caught up.

Why does no one support bill richardson [ 10 Answers ]

How come bill richardson is so unpopular in polls (and implicitly with most of you reading this). Is it because you know nothing about him? Is it because you want just another Washington insider like obama or clinton? Is it because he favors decrimiliazation of marijuana? Is it because he stresses...

Child support is more than my monthly bill almost [ 7 Answers ]

I just got hit with 1000 dollar in child support a month, my bill are 2200 month and my take home pay is 1800 month, I have two kid, my first is 16 at 340 month and the second 600 month, what are my opitions.

Can Child support be garnished from GI bill? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My boyfriend is paying child support to three different women all in different states. (yes he has had a vasectomy) :p They take half of what is left of his paycheck after taxes and health insurance. He gets $360 from an $1100 check. He got a 2nd job to try to stay afloat, and they took half...

View more questions Search