Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    _green-eyes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2009, 01:03 PM
    Is This a Hippa Violation?
    I live in Indiana. Recently my husband was in the hospital in the ICU. One of his doctors, while in a public area of the ICU became aggravated with my sister and I asking her questions and very loudly told my sister and I that he had cancer and was dying. She further said that everything they had done for him was a waste of medical equipment, professionals time, and drugs. She also said as soon as he was taken off the ventilator he would die. I hate it that she talked to us this way, that it was in a public area, and that my husband could also hear her. I have talked twice with the hospital's director of patient advocacy and she says it will be reviewed but so far, nothing. This incident happened on May 7, 2009. My husband subsequently died later that day. I feel like I have tried to give the hospital the opportunity to do the right thing but it doesn't seem as though it will even be reviewed. I really don't want it just to be swept under the rug but I don't know what my options are.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2009, 01:08 PM

Who overheard the conversation? When my husband was dying I had all sorts of discussions with Physicians in the ICU waiting room. It was simply a matter of me not wanting them to talk in front of him and having no place else to go. They are busy people, of course.

I have no idea why the Physician spoke to you in a rude manner - I would think the Hospital should address this entire issue but I do not see a HIPAA violation here. I do know that when my husband was in ICU I was told that his condition/treatment would be discussed with ONE person, no more than ONE person, and, therefore, anyone else who had questions was brushed off rather rudely.

My sympathy on your loss.
    _green-eyes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2009, 01:25 PM

This conversation took place in a hallway in the ICU. I really don't know who was there other than the nurses and my sister and I (I think I was in the state of shock then). I really just want the hoppital to deal with this particular doctor but I don't know how to get them to act. I don't want any other family to have to go through this.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 17, 2009, 02:09 PM
    In this case you report the doctor to the AMA if the hospital won't do anything about it. This is not a HIPAA violation.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2009, 02:25 PM

My concern is - and I'm not unsympathic. Please believe me. My husband died after 3-1/2 horrendous weeks in ICU so I've see it all - you say, "She further said that everything they had done for him was a waste of medical equipment, professionals time, and drugs. She also said as soon as he was taken off the ventilator he would die" - what is your objection to that statement (other than her tone)?

Quite frankly, and I would have fought the Devil with my bare hands to keep him alive, when it reaches this stage death is a merciful end to suffering.

What part of her statement do you disagree with? Did the medical care/treatment help at all? Were you insisting that care/treatment be continued, even though the medical professionals felt all hope was gone? Did he pass away shortly after he was removed from the ventilator?

I found - and, as I said, I've been there - that the Doctors spoke the truth, sometimes harshly and sometimes not, but it was the Nurses who kept me informed. (Side issue, I know.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

Hippa violation? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I want to know if it is a Hippa violation for a teacher to discuss the failure of another student in his class with all the students in the class. And all the other classes as well that he teaches? He told everyone that my daughter has fail. I do not think that this is anyone's business but...

Hippa violation [ 2 Answers ]

I recently had fallen 6 ft and landed on my lower back and had NO feeling in my lower back and legs. I was taken to a local hospital and was placed in a room for 2 hours before the doctor said that I would be going to x-ray. In the x-ray room the tech asked me to move over and I told her that it...

Is this a hippa violation [ 6 Answers ]

My 18 yr old daughter who still lives at home was taken to a doctor by two other family members without our knowledge. My daughter did not have a copy of the insurance card but someone somehow got the info because a claim has been filed for the visit. After the family members that took my daughter...

View more questions Search