Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jessiefoulds Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2009, 07:08 PM
    Custody of my nephew
    18 months ago social services took my at birth nephew and placed him with us he has been with us since birth social services applied for a permanent order however they just lost in court and we had to return him to his biological mother who had already lost six other children permanently totally heart brocken and not sure if I have any rights to the boy I raised as my son
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2009, 07:16 PM
    Unfortunately the court ruled against social services and, consequently, against you. It's not shocking that the court favored the biological mother. Whether the judge's decision was a prudent one or not is a matter of opinion and, without knowing the specific circumstances, really impossible for anyone to state such an opinion. But long established precedents favor biological parents whenever possible. So no, you have no "rights" to your nephew ; certainly not in a paternal sense and I really don't know of any jurisdictions that recognize rights for aunts and uncles. Of course, the mother could allow you to visit with him of her own accord ; that's always an option.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2009, 06:00 AM

I don't see that the Courts rules for or against anyone. That isn't how Family Court thinks. The Court determined (and they could very well be wrong) that the best place for the child is with the mother.

I would do everything I could to keep the lines of communication open so that she allows you to see the child.

If you push for visitation - and I've seen this happen - the Court could decide that living with you and then returning to his mother but seeing you would be confusing to the child.

Your best bet is hoping the mother will allow you to visit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to get custody of my nephew [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend and myself are thinking about getting custody of our 3month old nephew, and I'm not sure how to get the ball rolling. My boyfriends younger brother and his 17yr old girlfriend just had a baby, which neither of them were really ready for. The girl and the baby are living at her drug...

Getting custody of nephew [ 1 Answers ]

My sister wants me to take custody of her child he is 4 months old. I was wondering what all it will take to gain custody of him. Also my husband is military do that make it easier for us to take him or does it make it harder? Thank you so much Jessica jeffrey

Want custody of Nephew [ 2 Answers ]

My nephew was being abused by his mother and is now living with my husband and I. We have only had him for 12 days and his mother wants to send him to Cal Farley Boys Ranch, but he doesn't want to go. How can I being his Aunt get custody of him? Thank You Tiffany

Custody of Nephew [ 1 Answers ]

My nephew, Tim, is 23 years old and found out he had a son, James, who is now 1 year of age. Here is the story of James... He was abused by his mother and her boyfriend when he was 5 months old. This abuse went on for two months. James was taken to Children's Hospital with severe burns to his...

Think I need to take custody of nephew in Nj [ 1 Answers ]

My sister is bipolar/Borderline, she is not taking medication and has started a relationship with a man in NY she just met last month. (divoricd 3 times, many kids) She is planning on moving next month from PA to NY (on canada border) and marry this guy (who lost custody of his own children and a...

View more questions Search