Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sister99 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2009, 12:25 PM
    Advanced partnership accounting
    ( November, 1967 CPA Exam)
    :The total of the partners' capital accounts was $110,000.00 before recognition of partnership goodwill in preparation for the withdrawal of a partner whose profit and loss sharing ratio is 20%.
    He was paid $28,000.00 by the firm in final settlement for his interest.
    The remaining partners' capital accounts excluding their share of the goodwill totaled $90,000.00 after his withdrawal.
    The total goodwill of the firm agreed upon was?

A) $40,000
    B) $28,000
    C) $20,000
    D) $8,000

:) Thanks
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Aug 16, 2009, 12:47 PM
    The total capital balances, without considering goodwill, declined from ___ to ___ as a result of the partner's departure. Thus, the departing partner must have had a capital balance of ___, without considering goodwill.

Yet he was given ____ to redeem his interest, implying that his share of the goodwill was ____.

Remembering that recognition of goodwill is tantamount to the recognition of a gain, and since the departing partner's share of income items is ____%, then the total goodwill must be ____.

And remember for future reference, first show your attempts at answering the problem, then you'll get some guidance. This time, I just wanted to show a little... ahem... goodwill.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2009, 04:35 PM

Are you using this to practice for the CPA exam? If so, I'm going to expect more out of you. You should have already attempted to answer this as best as you possibly can and then you can get your work checked. You've posted this twice that I've seen but haven't provided any attempt on your part to do it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Advanced topics in accounting [ 3 Answers ]

An asset is acquired at a cost of $10,000 with a five-year life and no anticipated salvage value. Straight-line depreciation is considered appropriate. The asset was acquired on January 2, 2000. Price indexes for the five years are: Each member of the group should be responsible for preparing...

Advanced Accounting [ 1 Answers ]

Is anyone really good in advanced accounting I need some serious help

Advanced accounting [ 2 Answers ]

Yult Company owns 25% of the common stock of Dent Co. and uses the equity method to account for the investment. During 2002, Dent reported income of $220,000 and paid dividends of $80,000. There is no amortization associated with the investment. During 2002, how much income should Yult recognize...

View more questions Search