Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rforte129626 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2006, 07:32 AM
    Laptop to Desk top connectivity
    What sort of hardware must be installed in the desk top? Can a wireless card be used with a USB connection. Or must I use a router?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2006, 07:38 AM
    Are you trying to set up a home network so that you can share files between the computers? Do you want to share an internet connection as well?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 24, 2006, 07:44 AM
    Now it all depends on what you are trying to do.
    If it's a simple case of sharing files, then a simple USB drive would be you best bet.
    If, on the other hand you are looking at sharing resources (internet , printers, etc) then your best route would be a router.
    Your desktop machine would need a network (NIC) card to connect to the router.
    The you can connect your laptop to the same router, either wired or wireless (with a wireless router of course)

The type of router you need depends on your internet connection.
    There are different ones for DSL and CABLE connections.
    Both are readily available and come with a whole host of inbuilt security.

I would advise against using USB for networking as it can cause unforseen problems. If you want to run wireless on your desktop you can get wireless NIC's.

Hope this helps.

Ps There's a good thread Here that goes into wireless networking.
    rforte129626 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2006, 03:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Are you trying to set up a home network so that you can share files between the computers? Do you want to share an internet connection as well?

Yes

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roll Top Desk [ 2 Answers ]

How does one unlock the drawers? The rolltop lock does not function and the drawers on the left are open. The locking mechanisms are spring loaded hooks that hook over the back of the drawers when they are closed. How do I get the right drawers open?

AOL Connectivity [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I've been having an issue with AOL 9.0 Security Edition. For some reason over the past month I have been getting kicked off it constantly. At first it happened infrequently but now it happens ever few minutes and is to the point where it is not usable at all. I had no issues before the past...

Desk top set up [ 1 Answers ]

?? How do I delete pictures from the desktop settings

View more questions Search