Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    widgid Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2009, 09:38 AM
    Pressurised boiler system - loss of pressure
    I have a pressurised central heating system which should be about 1 barr but continually loses pressure. The house is very old (18century - the heatng is newer though) and so not best insulated. The mansard roof area (bedroom is fairly hot in summer and cool in winter) is Ok but the semi-underground bit which is our living area gets cold in winter and yet the radiators there never really get what I would call hot.
    A heating engineer tells me that without putting in a new boiler the loss of pressure cannot be found or resolved. I'm not good at DIY but that seems odd to me.
    Any ideas?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 16, 2009, 10:00 AM
    Loss of pressure means a leak. Just replacing the boiler will not find the leak so I have no idea what your supposed engineer is talking about and he probably does not either since he only wants to sell you a new boiler.

No matter how old the house is the leak needs to be found. Once that is done and the leak repaired you can move on to finding out how to better heat your home.

On old homes with hidden leaks if you raise and maintain the pressure while doing a inspection of the boiler and pipe in the home. Some areas of pipe might be hidden and here is where a younger man who is more flexible and able will come in handy looking in all those not easily accessible places. Just look for the wet spots to find the leaks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Residential boiler system [ 2 Answers ]

I have a residential boiler system in the house I bought. When I turned on the water supply to the boiler from the water system in the house, the T&P relief valve blew. I am assuming that this is because the water pressure in my household system (approx 70 psi) is too high for the boiler. The T&P...

Loss of water pressure w/new pressure tank [ 8 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I have a question involving my plumbing. I was having terrible water pressure and I checked the pressure at the pump itself and it was great. Went to the pressure tank and it was trickling. Shut down power to pump and drained system - checked air pressure and it was not...

Bleeding boiler system [ 2 Answers ]

I have a new home and need to bleed the boiler system as it is too noisy. I have checked the side of the vent and it seems to have some kind of small special tool that I have never seen before that fits like an backward allen wrench. How do I work it? Do I just turn it to the left to let the air...

How do I diagnose a loss of pressure in shallow well sprinkler system? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a shallow well sprinkler system with 5 zones. The system worked fine when I bought my house 3 years Ago but now the system barely generates enough Pressure to cause water to come out of the sprinkler Heads. The problem seemed to happen gradually. I first Noticed low pressure in the zone...

View more questions Search