Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    newbie Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2003, 08:51 PM
    Defragmenting
    Hi
    No one answered my question on constant freezing. Actually the computer has been fine for the past week but I keep closing McAfee and using AVG 6. It would be great if u'd told me if it's OK to have two virus detecters at the same time or not.
    Anyway, I've been trying to run Disk Cleanup Scan and Defragment but they don't precede. The help page says it might be because there are many programs runnig in the background. But when I hold ctrl + alt + del to see how many programs are runnig, I see all these names that I don't know of. I know some of these are the programs that have to run but I never know which one I should keep and which one can be closed.
    Please help
    techmonkey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2003, 11:30 PM
    Re: Defragmenting
    Try closing all of the programs except for explorer and systray, then try running scandisk first and then defrag. As for antivirus software I would suggest that you just use AVG. We use it here and have never had a problem with it as long as it is kept updated. Remember to also close out AVG before running scandisk and defrag.

Hope this helps
    elina Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2003, 09:07 AM
    Re: Defragmenting
    newbie, hi, techmonkey is right about closing every program and application except systray and explorer before performing Defragmentation.

Now, about installing or using more than 1 anti-virus softwares at the same time. With some anti-virus progs you can use at the same time, and with others, you can't. For example, using QUICK HEALER with any anti-virus progs will not work. QH is notorious for constant re-booting if use with any anti-virus progs on the market. Panda and RAV sometimes do this too.

On the other hand, AVAST! Seems to work well with most other anti-virus progs, except with QH and the like. AVG sometimes work with other progs. And Norton works and McAfee are OK, but NORTON hogs up a lot of memory, so in that sense, Norton may interfere with other anti-virus progs. McAfee, well, I don't think McAfee is all that great, especially their latest version because its internet update doesn't work half the time.

But before you install more than 1 anti-virus progs, install a recovery or restore utility such as GoBack to revert your computer back to a time when your computer was working just in case your computer should crash. You can download a 30-daytrial of GoBack from www.download.com, www.tucows.com, etc. or from Goback own site at www.symantec.com, not roxio.com, because roxio sold Goback to symantec. And GoBack is the best revert utility on the market.  If you would like to use it, disable WINDOWS XP system restore function first if you have XP (XP system restore pales in comparison because XP copycat cannot restore a system if the boot sector is damaged.)

Now, you mention your system may be freezing a lot. This problem stems from a lot of reason. You'll have to be more specific as to what is happening when your system freezes. :D 8)
    daveslounge Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2003, 11:53 PM
    Defragmenting
    Restart your computer, and as it's starting, hold down the 'Shift' key. When prompted, start your computer in safe mode. This will bypass any 'start-up' files, and you should be able to fully run scandisk and defrag. Just be sure to turn off your screensaver or any 'power down' features you may have.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Defragmenting [ 6 Answers ]

I can not defrag my files. It keeps saying that there are some files that can not be defragmented. Ehat can I do ? Thank you. Marlene

View more questions Search