Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    OnlyOnelOve Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2009, 12:31 AM
    16yr old female & 22yr old male trying to get married with bad circums.
    Hi:) [mi name:rather be unknown]. I'm in a RELATIONSHIP.
    I love him A LOT, we had an instance connection when we first started dating..
    But when we stared dating I told him I was older than mi real age[I told him
    That I was soon to be 18] but mi REAL age is 16. He is 22. But I wasn't the ONLY
    ONE that had to come clean about something. I told him and he was pretty upset about
    It. But than he had to let me know something, he told me that he was illegal trying to become
    Legal. I am NOT EVEN SURE about all that. But I was wondering if there's any way
    We can get married and he can get legal? If you can help me, please contact me ASAP
    Thanks for your time. [BTW(By The Way) I live in NY/TX]
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2009, 12:50 AM

How do you live in New York AND Texas?

Either way, in either of those states, you cannot.

1: You have to fill out these requirements in the respective states:
    New York: If you are 16 or 17 years of age, you will need to have a completed parental consent form filled out by both parents.
    Texas: The age is 18 without approval from a parent or your legal guardian.

What do YOUR parents have to say to this?

And, even if the state laws weren't the only factor, in order to marry someone to legally into citizenship, first:
    You are a permanent resident at least 18 years old.
    Meaning you are financially independent, and two years older. Both of the criteria you don't qualify for.
    Then, he could only become a citizen:
    after having a green card and being married to a U.S. citizen for 3 years.

Once you tell him this, he will leave you in a heartbeat. It would be much quicker (5 years quicker) to take a different route for citizenship for him.

I need to know, how long have you even known this guy, and why do you think you love him?
    A relationship founded on lies will only crash and burn. A relationship with no trust, for the worst will turn.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2009, 01:04 AM
    You're much too young to be getting married, and he's an idiot for leading you on in this way. Has it occurred to you that he might be wanting to get married so that he can obtain residency status?

You've already started the relationship by lying to each other and you have NO life experience upon which to base your assessment of 'love'.

This is a disaster waiting to happen, in my opinion.

Aug 16, 2009, 01:09 AM

I know a lot of his family and I know who he is I have lived with
    Him and everything. My parents don't have much to do with me.
    And we both know he could get legal marrying another woman for three years but he DOES NOT want to do that. Would you know of any other way for him to get legal? And stay in NY spring through fall but when winter comes I go to TX[I like warm weather & mi family live in both areas].
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2009, 01:15 AM

Well, either way, you need BOTH parents' approval, and then, it is still only with a judge's approval, which he probably won't grant because of the pending citizenship of this guy you claim to love.

Gemini, I completely agree, but had to spread the rep. :p
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2009, 01:20 AM

Is he from mexico? This could get him in A lot of trouble. I'm in Arizona and I cannot tell you how many men get in A lot of trouble for coming here illigally to marry a girl under 18
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2009, 01:23 AM

It could get him into a lot of trouble if he is from ANYWHERE out of the United States, unless it is a "territory" (ie Puerto Rico) but any other country the United States government frowns upon, and they will take legal action upon.

Aug 16, 2009, 01:35 AM

I know he could:(.. but they promised to make him legal, I mean he has a job and works for his dad. He has people that will sponsor him, they said they'd make him legal a few months ago. I'd leave him but I'm just so attached and it makes it hard for me to just stop seeing him

Aug 16, 2009, 01:37 AM

Yes he is from Mexico, but he was 4 when he moved out of Mexico.
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2009, 01:41 AM

Who is "they" and how did they "promise" to make him legal? A promise doesn't hold up against firmly established laws in America.

Sorry, but it'll never work, and you could get him into legal trouble just trying.
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2009, 01:43 AM

Hon, you SOUND very young and immature to me even on this message board and through text. I would suggest you give up the idea of getting married. It does not sound like you are ready for this at all
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2009, 01:44 AM

You have no job. Your still a dependent. Even if you parents decided to allow you to marry this guy you wouldn't be able to sponsor him- you have nothing, your 16!

Sarah
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2009, 01:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOnelOve View Post
    I know he could:( .. but they promised to make him legal, I mean he has a job and works for his dad. he has ppl that will sponsor him, they said they'd make him legal a few months ago. I'd leave him but I'm just so attached and it makes it hard for me to just stop seeing him
    I think that he's taking advantage of someone young and vulnerable. That is red flag number one.

He's 22 and you're 16, that's red flag number two.

He says that he has people that will sponsor him, but they haven't - that is red flag number three.

He's living with you and you're only 16, that's red flag number four.

What I would strongly suggest is that you put aside all ideas of marrying him - in any case, from what the others posters have said, you can't because it's illegal. So how can you do anything when you're not legal yourself?
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2009, 01:59 AM

She can't.
    She's young and naïve, and he's manipulating her.

He made her believe she "loves" him, and now she is probably going to do something stupid because of him. Every part of this "relationship" is bad news, only four of the points you distinguished.

Aug 16, 2009, 02:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mudweiser View Post
    You have no job. Your still a dependent. Even if you parents decided to allow you to marry this guy you wouldn't be able to sponsor him- you have nothing, your 16!

Sarah

I do work and go to school mudweiser.
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2009, 02:12 AM

How much do you make onlyonelove?

Do you think its enough to support house and home?
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2009, 02:13 AM

Can you support yourself? NO!
    Could you support yourself AND a husband for three years? Definitely not!
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2009, 02:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOnelOve View Post
    I do work and go to school mudweiser.
    How much do you make a year? Not enough I bet. You have to show that you are able to support your family and on top of that your income has to be 125% or more OVER the poverty level.

Besides you still are 16, you don't meet the age requirement to be able to sponsor him.

Sarah

Aug 16, 2009, 02:15 AM

I live with him so it's kind of hard to decided what I actually want to do about this and that was at the beginning of our relationship when I found that out...
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2009, 02:17 AM

You DO realise that he could be charged with kidnapping? I've seen this happen, when a minor moves in with an adult 'for love' the adult is charged with kidnapping and endangering a child. If not contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

19 yo male with a 31 yo female [ 8 Answers ]

Is it wrong for a 19 yo to be with a 31 yo and if not would it work out cz I'm worryed for my friend that it's a bit much can any one help me so I can try and help my friend

Male or Female? [ 4 Answers ]

Male or Female? You might not have known this, but a lot of Non-living objects are actually either male or female. Here are some examples: FREEZER BAGS: They are male, because they hold everything in, but you can see right through them.

How can a 7 yr old male cat and a 2 year female get along? [ 7 Answers ]

MY mom adopted a male cat that had been fixed and declawed. He is about 7 years old now. She has had him about 3 years now. She recently in the last 4 weeks took in a female cat fixed but not declawed. She hisses at the male cat and tries to attack him. We have tried isolating them and spraying...

Male or female [ 2 Answers ]

I have two small dogs a yorkie and a silky, both are males. I want to get a boxer but not sure if I should get a male or female, Since the dog a bigger than the other two I think I should go with a female. Info please!

Female vs Male [ 2 Answers ]

I am thinking about getting a Calvier King Charles Spaniel a. Would they do well in a crate?? :confused: b.What would be better Male or Female?? :confused:

View more questions Search