Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dincher Posts: 163, Reputation: 12

Aug 15, 2009, 11:32 PM
    How to get rid of resentment towards parent
    I know this sounds bad, but after years, I'm beginning to feel angry at my mom for being so condescending. This is the way she's always been since day one. In fact, I've never met her approval, but I was always forgiving and have never held it against her.

But now, after my failed marriage and after having friends who have grown up in healthy households and who have been able to get over such things (due to their healthy loving parental upbringing) I'm beginning to think that the reason why I'm so repressed, unable to get over things quickly, and at times have such low self esteem is because I have never met my mother's approval.

I know that this is the case - I don't want to bore anyone with details, but lets say I didn't grow up in the most functional family.

But the question is, how do I get rid of that resentment? I don't feel like talking to her about it, as I'm sure she's going to take a sarcastic approach to the whole thing, and it'll make me angrier.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2009, 06:25 AM

I sort of have the same problem.
    My mother wasn't condescending but she wa passive aggressive and she had this thing about age and respecting your elders to a point of being indignant if she didn't like my opinion.
    For a few years I had to ration my time seeing her to keep my sanity. Like I found that if I only spent so many hours a month with her we got along better. When I spent a lot of time with her sure enough things were going to crop up that had me agitated at her.

The other important thing is that you have to make your own identity and be your own person. Cut the apron strings of 'what they made you' and come to terms with who you are and who and where you want to be.

I know I still struggle with getting anywhere in my life because of some power the past seems to have over me but I don't let it get me down.

Also try to find the good qualities in your mom and look at her from a different perspective. Like I know this is how she is and how am I going to deal with it in a constructive way.

I know it is hard to tell moms the problems you have with them because they do become indignant and haughty that their daughter could talk to them about their short comings like 'who are you to disrespect your elders'
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 17, 2009, 10:56 AM
    Dude, no matter what you went through, and where you came from, if you're an adult, you have the ability to define yourself, and its really not responsible to blame your past on how you act in the present.

Its up to you to choose what your about now. Be happy with who you are, and appreciate what you had to overcome to be able to love who you are now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Resentment from the ex? [ 5 Answers ]

I know what resentment means. My ex shows it all the time. My questions are after 5 months apart why still does she fill that way? And how can I correct that? Meaning is it because she is not over the situation or she needs closure with me, or she is mad at me? Help me out here please.

Custodial Parent allows child to live with non custoial parent [ 8 Answers ]

Can the custodial parent allow a minor child to move in with the non custodial parent? Can this be done with out a court order, if both the custodial & non custodial parent agree on the conditions or do they need to file with the court?

Is resentment against the Americans up or down [ 28 Answers ]

Everyone and their mother seem to have an idea about how well the “surge” is working; I think someone should ask the Iraqis what they think. I wonder how they would rate their personal security. Is resentment against the Americans up or down since the “surge” began? But on second thought,...

Role Reversal/Resentment [ 3 Answers ]

I'm not sure this is the right area to post this, but I just really want to vent more than anything. I went back to work in the corporate world after a few years at home. My husband and I own a real estate business, so I ran that and took care of the house and kids while he worked a full-time...

How can I get over my resentment? [ 3 Answers ]

My fiancé has a 16 year old son that he spends all his spare time with. Mind you, I am not jealous of the relationship they have... I think it's great that they have so many common interests (dirtbikes and such). The problem is, my fiancé always has time for his son, but when I want to do...

View more questions Search