Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Randy Ray Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2006, 08:26 PM
    Tree Roots Patio?
    I am wanting to install a Stamped concrete patio behind our garage. 12'x18' is the size.
    We have a very large Silver Maple tree in the back yard with many large roots on the top of the ground in the location we'd like to put the patio. Our concern is that these roots would grow up under the concrete and cause the patio to rise and or crack. We don't really want to cut these roots for fear that it may kill our nice shade tree. My question is will the roots cause damage? And will it kill our tree if we were to cut large surface roots?
    Unfortunately I don't have photos at this time.
    Thanks,
    Randy Ray
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2006, 03:30 AM
    Without seeing it I can't be sure, but yes: roots near or at the surface will eventually give you major grief. You may need to make a choice between the tree and the patio.

Typically some surface roots can be cut out without damaging the tree, but I'd strongly suggest you get a landscaping professional in there to give you an opinion as to how and if it can work... that is, how much of those roots you can cut out.

If I were you I'd call a landscaping company for a free estimate. With it you'll get the scoop and be able to decide from there where to go with it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Covering maple tree roots [ 3 Answers ]

I have two red maples in my lawn whose roots I want to cover with mounds of "river rock" (about the size of tennis balls). Any problem?

Taking out tree roots [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I tried to do a search on this first but didn't come up with anything specific to answer my question. We are in a home we are renting but we are allowed to do some outdoor work so we took out some hedge-like bushes in the front of our house by tearing them out with our truck. We tied the...

Maple tree roots. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi - I purchased a 1922 Colonial on Long Island and in the front yard, about 20 feet from the house, is a grand old maple tree. It is between the sidewalk and the curb and is tearing up part of my sidewalk and curb. I really don't want to take the tree down and I'd rather have a contractor come...

View more questions Search