Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MonicaDR Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2006, 07:43 PM
    Utility Debt War
    I resided in a place in Ontario about 8 years ago (1999). When I left, the Hydro bill was completely paid. A year and a half later, Hydro contacted me stating that they under-estimated my hydro-usage for approximately 3 years and expected me to pay the bill.

I was dumb and naïve, so I started to pay - only for about 3 months. Then, I contacted a legal-aid and they told me to obtain usage records. I received two different sets of records. Both read different readings and amounts. The legal-aid contacted Hydro for me and told them that I would refrain from paying the remainder due to the former reason.

Hydro stated that they could not obtain accurate readings because the year that I left the residence, they changed their metre reading format. But they still will not close the debt - but they also have not reported it to the credit bureau.

Any words of advice for me to get this off my back and have the debt account closed?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 23, 2006, 07:57 PM
    I would make one more try. Have the attorney send them a later saying that; since they cannot prove that your usage was different then previously paid, you expect them to refund the 3 months you paid and mark your account closed. I would include a warning that if they do report this false info to a credit bureau, you will take further legal action.

From there its up to you. If they don't refund and close, you can either either just let it go unless they do report it to the credit bureau. If they do, then you need to pursue it further.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

War [ 5 Answers ]

There was a post about a marine that lost is life. A marine that committed suicide. I commented on about what a war can do to somebody mentally. I also commented on what I would do if I were him. All of a sudden it turned into somebody accusing me of dictating what others have to do. Which was...

All in one utility box... [ 5 Answers ]

I am looking for some kind of network device that would serve as a Router, print server Wireless access point and be able to handle T1 or fractional T1. Anyone heard of anything like this?

Name of war movie [ 4 Answers ]

Looking for name of war movie. The general plot is that germans threating to cross a bridge. The only way to destroy bridge was to blow up a dam. I'm not even sure who starred in it. Thanks for any leads

War [ 7 Answers ]

I recently saw a bumper sticker that stated: "Why do we kill people to show that killing people is wrong?" While I am not a warmonger, I do see the need for it since so many of our world leaders do not have the same value system. How do I respond to "peaceniks" who can offer no viable alternative...

Civil War [ 1 Answers ]

The 'North' and the 'South' were not different nations. I'd base my argument around defining a nation (no easy job). Then, go onto who benefits from calling it "War of aggression"? it’s a highly emotive name. In what ways did events fit that description? And Who benefits from calling it...

View more questions Search