Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    martylogs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2009, 12:36 PM
    Spark Plug Gap?
    Expert David R
    Subject Spark Plug Gap for B & S/Weedeater Model 500

Question I cannot find the gap size in the manuals?

Answer Please provide me with the Model Type and Code number located on the engine near the sparkplug, Muffler, or valve cover and I can help you further
    Dave R aka "China Dave

Model # 961340004 1 21inch from Walmart

Code # 011708M 018490

B&S 500 Series
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Aug 14, 2009, 05:48 PM

Hi,
    Confusing question. There is an odd thing about Briggs engines that has occurred in the last few years. For some time the correct plug was a Champion RJ19LM or equivalent (L-head engine) with a gap of 0.030" Now the Intek engine comes along and it wants a Champion RC12YC (substitutes work unreliably) and it wants a gap of 0.020" even though it comes packaged with a 0.045" gap.
    Now no one needs believe me, however be warned that a Deere dealer I worked at saw a couple of us try variations on the Intek. Gap at 0.030" and hard to start, put in another brand of plug (we tried a few brands) and hard to start or would not start. We had been told this by the Briggs factory and did not believe it so we decided to see for ourselves. We believe now.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spark Plug gap [ 2 Answers ]

Electrolux featherlite weed eater model fl1500"1" 2005 ,leaf blower Thank you jim

Briggs 14.5 hp ohv - No spark to spark plug [ 1 Answers ]

Was mowing tall grass when it died. At first there was a small spark at the plug but now there is none. Had been having to use pickup to jump start the Huskee 38" riding mower. Where can I find a schematic for this engine. Model 287707 Type 1224-E1 Code 000531ZD

Spark plug gap [ 3 Answers ]

What should the Plug gap be for a 99 Kia Sephia and where is the Fuel Pump located on this car?

Black soot on the spark plug,is it the plug. [ 1 Answers ]

My lawn mower plug has black soot on it, what could be the cause of the plug fouling out? It is a 6.0 B&S motor, also is there a certain gap for the plug and if so what is it? This problem just recently came up after 3 years of use and I don't understand what happen.:confused:

Don't get spark from my spark plug wire [ 1 Answers ]

I get spark from my spark plug wire sometimes when I don't the jeep don't start Why I don't get spark sometimes?

View more questions Search