Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Vanyg12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2009, 11:03 AM
    Removing Inheriting Permission
    Hi,

A few months ago my parents gave my a laptop. Just recently I figured out they can view my files on my laptop using their own laptop. I believe it was "inheriting permission." I wanted to know if there is any way of removing the permission so that they cannot see anything on my laptop.

Please & Thank You.

-Vany
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Aug 18, 2009, 02:12 PM

If I was your parent, you would not be able to change the permissions on a laptop that I paid for. And it is also unlikely that your parents lived this long without first being a child and already did the same things you are doing.

You can append to inherited permissions as long as you are not trying to undue a DENY level of permissions. These will overriede any allow permissions.

You can go to the advanced permissions settings and there should be a checkbox for inherit permissions. Undo this and make sure you select COPY current permissions first. Then you can remove the unwanted permissions.

YOU MUST BE AN ADMINISTRATOR TO MAKE THESE CHANGES. If you are not then kudos to your parents. Get used to this. It is like this in the work place too. The computer on a desk at work belongs to the company and not you.

If you can not make the changes and you are and Administrator, you may have to take Ownership of the files before you can make changes to the permissions. You can not make permissions changes on a folder in which you do not FULL CONTROL permissions. If you do not, you must take ownership of the files.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inheriting debt [ 4 Answers ]

I live in North Carolina. If I were to marry a person that is in a lot of debt, would I inherit any of the debt? The debt is incurred before we get married. Right now we live together and I want to marry her but I'm worried.

Inheriting a house before death [ 3 Answers ]

My family and I are finally in the position to purchase our first house, in particular, the one we live in. It belongs to my mother, who is quite elderly. Since it is out in the country, she has been wanting to move into town. Now, she has brought up the idea that possibly, she would just stay...

Inheriting a 401K [ 2 Answers ]

I want to withdraw a 401K that was left to my by a non-spouse person. I understand that I DO NOT have to pay a penalty; is this true, and what other taxes/penalties will I have to pay. Thanks

18 yr old son inheriting 80K [ 10 Answers ]

I have recently found out that my son's grandmother has left close to 80k in her insurance policy- ostensibly to me but 'for the benefit of... (my son). (this is my ex-husband's mother). My son turned 18 this feb , a month before my (ex) mother-in-law's death. Do I have any say in how or when...

View more questions Search