Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    backroad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2009, 03:21 AM
    John deere L120 transmission
    Have tried all the mentioned solutions to the transmission problem for my JDL120 and just had it in recently to the dealer-they say if it continues(which it has- works well for about 45 minutes on flat lawn- then as I do the slopes- it hardly moves-they say transmission fluid is topped up) has over 380 hours on it. Should I be looking at a conversion kit for the John Deere and would that help?
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Aug 14, 2009, 06:57 PM

Hi,
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the first versions of the transaxle used in the L120 had problems. Some developed them in warranty which was fine for the owners. Others went a bit longer.
    Try finding the number for the Deere HelpLine and calling it. Have your date of purchase, or if it is registered, just the serial number which can be found above the left rear tire under the fender on the frame and should start with"GXL10...." for 13 alphanumeric characters. They may be able to help.
    I know how to check the fluid levels and did it for the factory on a few occasions on failing and failed transaxles. A new transaxle is generally the cure; the new ones are definitely better.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

John Deere L120 [ 4 Answers ]

I have a three year old John Deere L120 lawn tractor that has about 195 hours on it. I cut about 1.5-2 acres once a week, maybe a little more often in the fall to pick up leaves. Recently, the blade clutch experienced an electrical failure for which my local dealer quoted a $500-600 repair. While...

2003 John Deere L120 Transmission Replacement [ 8 Answers ]

I think I blew the 4th transmission on our tractor again. Instead of paying through the nose by sending to the dealer again, I was wondering how difficult it was to purchase and install one if you are not all that mechanical ? If I chose to do it, where can I purchase one cheaper that through the...

John Deere L120 mobility/transmission [ 3 Answers ]

To:Esquire 1 and others, I have a JD L120 mower 4yrs. Old w/ 82 hrs. use. It now will only move forward or rev. 8 to 10 ft. very,very slowly.It's as if it's in a bind or trans. Isn't working properly.I have maintained it very well. Any suggestions? ----Buckminster

View more questions Search