Oneill474 Posts: 427, Reputation: 2

Aug 13, 2009, 01:32 PM
    Hard boiled eggs
    Any tips how to make it easier to remove the shells from
    Hard boiled eggs?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 13, 2009, 01:36 PM

Yes, let them get completely cool before trying. I always found super fresh eggs, I mean right from the hen, were impossible to shell after hard boiling.

Tick
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2009, 01:40 PM

Ok, ONeil, let me try and educate you to the wonderful world of hard boiled eggs. I am an amateur compared to my late mother who always made hard boiled eggs that peeled easily. Try as I might, mine sometimes come out right, but not like mama's did consistently.

She always used the freshest eggs and started with eggs that were room temperature. Cold water with a pinch of salt. Cover the pan with a lid. Let the water come to a boil. Let boil for 3 minutes, then turn down heat to very very low and let cook for another 20 minutes. Then turn off heat completely and let water cool for about 10 minutes. Place pot with water and eggs in the sink and run cold water over eggs until eggs are not hot any longer. Take out one and peel. Should be a perfect peel. (At least that's the way mama taught me how to make them anyway). I cannot guarantee yours will peel away perfectly because a lot of chickens don't lay eggs with thicker shells. I have experimented with brown eggs, white eggs, jumbo eggs, medium eggs, etc. ad nauseum and found that it does not matter. What does matter is if they are really, really fresh period.

Good luck with your egg peeling activities.

If you'd like an old fashioned recipe for hard boiled eggs and red beets, let me know. I'm Pennsylvania Dutch and have eaten them for 50+ years. They keep well in the fridge for 2 weeks due to the vinegar broth. Mine never last that long as I eat them all up well before that.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2009, 01:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Yes, let them get completely cool before trying. I always found super fresh eggs, I mean right from the hen, were impossible to shell after hard boiling.

tick
    But eggs that are store bought are never right from the nest.
    Expert

Aug 13, 2009, 05:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    But eggs that are store bought are never right from the nest.
    Yes, I know, twink, I just threw that in for good measure. As for your pickled eggs with beets mmm, I make pickled eggs, just love them, but only have added the beet juice. So you actually put the beets to pickle in with the eggs, right ?

Tick
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2009, 08:52 AM
    They are actually called 'hard cooked eggs' and I have never had any problem.
    Cold water in non aluminum pan along with eggs
    Bring to a boil
    Boil one min or so
    Turn off and leave till cools
    Peel under cold running water :)
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2009, 08:53 AM
    I have chickens, and fresh eggs are hard to peel. I put salt in the water while they boil, and peel them in cold water like someone else mentioned.
    jessy84 Posts: 2, Reputation: 3

Aug 14, 2009, 09:17 AM
    Eggs that are older will peel easier, if you can manage that. I usually buy eggs for deviled eggs a month ahead of time. Some of the liquid evaporates through the shell and leaves a pocket of air between the membrane and the shell, making it easier to separate the two. Cover eggs with cold water, bring to a boil uncovered, turn off heat and cover with lid, let sit for ten minutes. Run cold water over them until cool enough to handle. Tap the bottom of the egg gently on a countertop then roll all over to completely crack the shell.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 14, 2009, 09:19 AM

I use store bought eggs.

My trick, after boiling, drain water, add cold water, drain, add cold water, drain, cold water then cold water with ice cubes.

Leave for five minutes, then peel.

I never have a problem with this method. :)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2009, 09:24 AM

Hello:

Eeeeeeewww! Do you know where eggs come from?

excon
    Expert

Aug 14, 2009, 09:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello:

Eeeeeeewww! Do you know where eggs come from??

excon
    Yes, the butt end of a chicken. And... your recommendations for peeling hard boiled eggs are... ;)
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2009, 09:41 AM

Mmm excon, eggs come from the chickens... *cough* girly parts. ;)

My neighbor won't eat chicken thighs. She says they are too close to the chickents butt. She only eats the breasts... get the logic? I don't. :P
    Pets Expert

Aug 14, 2009, 09:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello:

Eeeeeeewww! Do you know where eggs come from??

excon
    From the egg fairy? :confused:
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2009, 09:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    She always used the freshest eggs and started with eggs that were room temperature. Cold water with a pinch of salt. Cover the pan with a lid. Let the water come to a boil. Let boil for 3 minutes, then turn down heat to very very low and let cook for another 20 minutes.
    My mother's recipe was similar except a lot less cooking. Put eggs in room temperature water in a heavy pot (that will hold heat), cover, bring to a boil and immediately shut the heat off, letting the eggs sit in the hot water for 15 minutes. Then remove from the eggs water and immerse them in cold water to stop the cooking. Change the cold water if it heats up from the eggs. (This depends on how many eggs you cook.)

I like them this way and they are almost always easy to peel.

I have heard that fresh eggs are Harder to peel. I rarely have fresh eggs.
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2009, 09:50 AM

Chickens do not have girlie parts in the usual sense. They have a cloaca, which is a combination general exit for EveryThing. The male has the same thing...
    Pets Expert

Aug 14, 2009, 09:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by asking View Post
    Chickens do not have girlie parts in the usual sense. They have a cloaca, which is a combination general exit for EveryThing. The male has the same thing...
    You're the one to ask Asking.

What came first, the chicken or the egg? :)
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2009, 10:03 AM

The egg, no doubt, Alty!

It was all in the genes, which were in the egg. :)
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2009, 10:36 AM

No no no it was the chicken.

If the egg came first it would have died without a mother hen to sit on it and feed it after hatching
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2009, 10:54 AM

A little half-feathered dinosaur sat on the chicken egg and took care of it. Many dinosaurs were big nest builders and also took care of their young.

Just as you can raise a puppy, a dinosaur could raise a chicken. (Don't assume the dinosaur was a T. rex, it was probably very chickenesque. :) )

Definitely the egg.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2009, 01:06 PM

Hello again:

Eeeeeewwww. Do you know where dinosaurs come from?

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard boiled eggs [ 2 Answers ]

Can you freeze hard boiled eggs

How long are hard boiled eggs safe for consumption [ 1 Answers ]

How long are refrigerated hard boiled eggs still in the shell good? How long before they are no longer safe or good to eat?

Boiled meat [ 1 Answers ]

If I eat the meat that all fat was taken out of it by making soup, would it help me lose weight or not make me gain weight? 2 eggs a day cause weight gain?

Boiled eggs [ 6 Answers ]

How do you boil eggs? How long,etc?

View more questions Search