Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2009, 09:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by unluckynut View Post
    don't forget the chocolate.
    The chocolate covered pretzels are the perfect food.Salt, chocolate, salt, chocolate, life is good!
    You forgot bacon!:)
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2009, 10:32 PM

I tried turkey bacon not too long ago for the first time. It's a new breakfast favorite! It tastes good, and since it's not so greasy it's easier for me to clean up. I hate cleaning up after cooking
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2009, 10:45 PM

My old boss (where I worked in the 80's) invented the turkey devonshire
    Frank Blandi's Original Devonshire Sandwich

Source: Frank Blandi, Le Mont Restaurant, Mt Washington, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania – 1934

Cream Sauce
    :
    3/4 stick butter, melted
    1 cup flour
    1/4 pound Cheddar cheese, grated
    1 pint chicken broth
    1 pint hot milk
    1 teaspoon salt

Melt butter in deep pan and add flour, stirring constantly. Add chicken broth and then hot milk, stirring all the while. Add cheese and salt. Bring to boil, then cook slowly for 20 minutes, still stirring. Cool to lukewarm. Beat with wire whip until smooth before using. This makes enough sauce for 6 Devonshire sandwiches.

For each sandwich:
    1 slice toast
    3 slices crisp bacon
    Cooked turkey breast
    Cream Sauce, recipe above
    Melted butter
    Parmesan cheese and paprika

Heat oven to 450 degrees F.

In each flat, individual ovenproof casserole dish, place 1 slice of toast and top with 3 slices bacon. Add cooked turkey breast. Cover completely with cream sauce. Sprinkle with a little melted butter, then with the combined Parmesan cheese and paprika. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2009, 09:34 AM
    WOW! That sounds like the perfect sandwich!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 17, 2009, 09:46 AM

Hi dahly, your preserves look really good, tomatoes too. Took me back a few years when we had a farm in Michigan and planted about an acre in veggies every year. We both took care of it, me more so because hubby was away a lot. We wound up in the states cause he was sponsored by a company and had territory all over the US and Canada. Anyway...

Its coming to the end of gardens soon and on the farm at the end of the season, all of the neighbours who had big gardens would get together with eveything that was cleaned out eventually, potatoes, tomatoes, anything, any veggie and we would have a 'hobo dinner', purchase a brand new garbage can, fill with water, and all veggies, rings of kalbassa, whole chickens, just about anything that had to be got rid of. Cook forever over an open fire while drinking some really good sangria and whatever, and then, pig out on the contents.

I canned, pickled, froze just about everything I grew, my dogs loved the tomatoe skins, etc. in their dog food and the chickens always got the rest.

I don't can anymore but still have my accoutrements but gave away my jars.

My favourite was making saurkraut, what a procedure that was, and everything had to be sterilized and super clean in a huge earthenware crock.
    I loved every minute of doing it and the result was delicious.

Do you every make vegetable/tomatoe juice from your tomatoes ?

Tick
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Aug 17, 2009, 09:51 AM

Okay this might sound gross but it tastes sooo good!
    "a tomato sandwitch"
    1 or two slices of your favorite cheese
    2 slices of bread
    Sliced tomatoes
    Sliced onion
    Cream cheese
    Salt & pepper
    Chopped basil
    Expert

Aug 17, 2009, 10:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by XOXOlove View Post
    okay this might sound gross but it tastes sooo good!
    l
    hey, X, doesntsound gross at all, in fact I make one similar to yours only mine is made with proscuitto (italian ham) and instead of cream cheese its ricotto (similar to cream cheese only better), between two slices of crusty italian bread and pressed.

cheers

tick
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2009, 10:31 AM
    Tick,
    I've never made any juice from the toms, I think I've never really had enough extra. I use them for everything.

My Dad told me when he was growing up he used to crawl under the bed where all the Tomato juice cannings were and pop them open and chug. Granny wasn't really pleased when she found empty jars.

I might attempt Sauerkraut this year, it is just so time consuming, but really good.
    Expert

Aug 17, 2009, 10:49 AM
    [QUOTE=Just Dahlia;1929186]

I might attempt Sauerkraut this year, it is just so time consuming, but really good.[/QUOTE

My main reason for buying a food processor way back when was specifically for saurkraut, but it was eventually indispensable for my slicing and dicing procedures in anything to do with canning and freezing. I hope you have one for the saurkraut purpose and if and when you do attempt that (it is absolutely the ultimate in canning procedures and actually has to be done the way it was done l00 years ago), I would be glad to give you any advice or tips you will need.

I still have many kitchen implements my grandmother used when she first got married and I still use them to this day.

Tick
    unluckynut Posts: 294, Reputation: 23

Aug 22, 2009, 05:29 PM

Deep Fried Peppers

Any small or med sized peppers

Hamburger browned and drained, add tomatoes, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, garlic, and cooked rice.

Make this kind of thick, take the stem off pepper, and stuff with hamburger mixture,

Bread with egg&milk , then flour with seasoning salt. Let rest about half hour deep fry till golden.

Serve with salad.
    Just Looking Posts: 1,610, Reputation: 480
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2009, 10:47 AM
    I'm a first year gardener and loving every minute of it. My biggest success are the zucchinis. I'm having them for dinner every night and still have so many, so I started making zucchini bread for friends and neighbors. It's so easy, and makes the house smell so good. I don't want to leave my kitchen when it is baking.

1/3 cup shortening
    1 1/3 cups sugar (I use Splenda)
    2 eggs
    1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
    1/3 cup water
    1 2/3 cups flour
    1 t baking soda
    3/4 t salt
    1/4 t baking powder
    1/2 t cinnamon
    1/2 t ground cloves
    1 t vanilla
    1/3 cup chopped nuts
    1/3 cup raisins

Grease bottom of loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 60-70 minutes.

If anyone has recipes for zucchini, I can sure use them. :p Thanks.
    Expert

Aug 30, 2009, 12:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Looking View Post
    I don't want to leave my kitchen when it is baking.

1/3 cup shortening
    1 1/3 cups sugar (I use Splenda)
    2 eggs
    1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
    1/3 cup water
    1 2/3 cups flour
    1 t baking soda
    3/4 t salt
    1/4 t baking powder
    1/2 t cinnamon
    1/2 t ground cloves
    1 t vanilla
    1/3 cup chopped nuts
    1/3 cup raisins

Grease bottom of loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 60-70 minutes.

If anyone has recipes for zucchini, I can sure use them. :p Thanks.
    I slice them, dip in egg and breadcrumbs, salt and pepper, parmesan cheese and fry for a side dish. There is a good way to cook the big ones that get left behind in the garden. Scoop them out, (keeping some to mix back in) fill with a mixture of cooked ground beef, onion, garlic, (similar to a meatloaf mixture) in a baking dish covered with basil tomato sauce.

Tick

Your recipe sounds just lovely. Zuchini bread freezes well too.
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2009, 08:53 PM
    Ticks recipe sounded like stuffed zuchinni to me, I'm not sure I understand the meaning?

You can always use the big ones for Zuchinni parmesean (sp) instead of eggplant. (or even the small ones for that matter):)
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2009, 09:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    Ticks recipe sounded like stuffed zuchinni to me, I'm not sure I understand the meaning?

You can always use the big ones for Zuchinni parmesean (sp) instead of eggplant. (or even the small ones for that matter):)
    That's what I meant. I was hoping for stuffed zucchini and she gave me stuffed zucchini. I was saying thanks. I guess I worded it a bit awkwardly. :)
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2009, 12:53 PM
    I'm out of town this week and my roommate is watering my garden. She just called to say that she found a zucchini hiding - it's 18 inches long, 12 inches in circumference, and weighs about 5 pounds. :p Any ideas for this monster?
    unluckynut Posts: 294, Reputation: 23

Sep 7, 2009, 11:39 AM

Paint it white and make it a ghost for halloween. Just kidding but I hate those little monsters that hide on you.
    Expert

Sep 7, 2009, 11:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Looking View Post
    I'm out of town this week and my roommate is watering my garden. She just called to say that she found a zucchini hiding - it's 18 inches long, 12 inches in circumference, and weighs about 5 pounds. :p Any ideas for this monster?
    There is a limit to what you can do with this type of 'rogue zucchini'. You may find it is too pulpy inside to be of much use. If not, then slice l in thick, dip in egg and then breadcrumbs and fry in butter, use as a side dish, or top with a slice of cooked chicken breast, mozzerella and then sauce and bake till cheese melts.

Tick
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2009, 04:10 PM
    Easy stuff, but posting anyway.

Skinned tomatoes
    Basil
    Oregano
    Thyme
    Little olive oil
    Sea salt
    Pepper
    A little crushed red pepper flakes

Sautee and reduce, put in freezer bags for sauce later.

It is great!
    Expert

Sep 9, 2009, 04:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    Easy stuff, but posting anyway.

skinned tomatoes
    !
    Most people don't know the easy way to skin tomatoes is to blanch first and skins are easy to remove. You probably know that but just posting in case others done.

Tick
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2009, 09:16 AM
    So this is what I did with my rogue zucchini (love that term):

1. Cut (9) ¾ inch slices, dipped in flour, then egg, and then a mixture of bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper. Baked at 425 degrees for 16 minutes (in Reno, you have to cook everything longer due to the altitude); covered with marinara sauce. Served for dinner with salmon.

2. Grated enough to make 4 loaves of zucchini bread – kept one, gave the other 3 to friends.

3. Made a homemade chicken and vegetable soup, using carrots, celery, onion, peas, and (you guessed it) zucchini – served with zucchini bread. :)

4. Steamed enough for three of us to eat as our veggie dish for dinner one evening.

5. Made veggie omelets for breakfast, using zucchini.

6. I like to use my food processor/juicer to make tasty juices – made one from tomato and zucchini. Not so tasty. In fact, it was worse than the potato juice I made one time. :o

7. Made up a tray of carrots, celery, and zucchini with a ranch dip for a party I was going to on Labor Day.

8. The remainder is still in the fridge. I think my friends are going to throw something at me if I give them anything else with zucchini in it. May be time to paint it white and have just a small ghost. :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Discovery, Animal Planet, "Lost Tapes" series: "Monster of Monterey" (Sharon Novak) [ 28 Answers ]

I watched this premier episode last night: Sharon Novak did a 171 day solo sailing trip and web-cammed it for nothingabout the real story. My opinion of the family of Discovery Channels has dropped several notches. Does anyone know the real story? I'll be the first to apologize if the...

I need "Garden State"! [ 1 Answers ]

Trying to download the film "Garden State" with Natalie Portman, but am having no luck finding it.

View more questions Search