Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sarahleedavid Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2012, 09:49 AM
    Errr what if both wires are red?
    nickh123 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2012, 08:37 AM
    Hi, I have an old 2 wire Taco analog thermostat and want to upgrade to a digital thermostat. The wires are white and blue (the red wire is cut and not connected to anything) and neither terminal is labelled. Any suggestions on how to wire new device?

Thanks
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2012, 06:51 PM
    Connect one wire to Rh & the other to W on the stat. Use a battery powered stat.
    DaveG72 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2013, 11:00 AM
    Is it just me, or did NO ONE answer the question on how to hook up a 2 wire setup to a digital (no battery) thermostat; which I thought was the original question?

Yes, 2 wire = Rh+W great... what about hooking in a WiFi digital thermostat? Feasible or not? And if yes, how? (regardless of wire colors which can't be relied on)

Any suggestion would be very welcome. Thanks.
    elecman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2013, 08:49 PM
    Thank u it worked very well..

Feb 7, 2013, 08:51 PM
    Thank u for your asvice. It worked very well and I'm very happy. Hoping it will help with my power bill..

Feb 7, 2013, 08:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by elecman View Post
    thank u for your asvice. it worked very well and im very happy. hoping it will help with my power bill..
    somewhat345 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2013, 06:52 PM
    We are trying to replace an old school thermostat with a Honeywell 5-2 programmable thermostat. When we took off the old one, the wire we have are as followed: romax with red/white and another set of romax that has no colors. When we connect all the wire as we think, it causes the furnace to run. When we switch it to A/C, every thing works. Can you tell us how to hook it up?
    JoseLuis14 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2013, 08:39 PM
    It Didn't Work, one of the Wires was feeding off another to serve as a C wire, I called HoneyWell and they said their updated wireless thermostats will not work with my two/3 wire system unless I have an entirely independent C wire running from the heater -_-
    tattoo1255 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2013, 01:14 PM
    Buying a home with an interlink furnace. Pilot will light but burner will not ignite. There has been no gas in the home for over a year. Line was purged, pilot lit, thermocoupler kept pilot lit. However the main burner won't light. Supposedly the furnace worked in Sept. 2012 when gas company came out and lit pilot. HELP!
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2013, 03:09 PM
    Tattoo:
    Are you sure the gas valve is set to "on" & not "pilot"?
    tattoo1255 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2013, 08:47 PM
    Yes. The gas valve was set to on after lighting the pilot. I am assuming you are talking about the knob on the gas valve that controls the pilot and burners. Atl Gas was trying to light it and I attempted to as well after he left. Same result, pilot lights and stays lit. Turn the knob the rest of the way and nothing happens. This was with the thermostat turned to 90 degrees, house was about 60, fan in auto and switch set to heat. Tried the cool side of the thermostat thinking it may have been wired backwards but to no avail.
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2013, 09:23 PM
    Ok, you've covered some of the common mistakes.
    If you have a voltmeter & know how to use it, measure voltage at the thermostat. You should get +/- 24 volts AC between terminals R & W. If you do, put the stat back on, set it for heat & turn it up high. Measure voltage between R & W at the furnace. You should get nearly nothing.
    mcanseco Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2013, 10:10 AM
    My new one has batteries as well, and no W1 or RH. It does however have a R and W hookup. Hopefully I get this thing to work, it's starting to get a little chilly in the AM...
    mommynkiddos Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2013, 06:33 AM
    Im replacing my old honeywell round thermostat (with Mercury) both wires are the same color... What do I do??
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2013, 07:23 PM
    mommynkiddos: hook one wire to 'W' & the other R. It makes no difference which is which.
    dbird Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2014, 11:35 PM
    This may be the wrong place to ask, if so I apologize, but, with new wiring and an appropriate relay, can one convert a mobile home style gas furnace, with the heat/cool switch on the blower, to work with a newer stat? I don't mind running new wires or setting up a transformer inline if needed, but do not want to spend what I was quoted on a new furnace.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Converting Thermostat Old to Digital [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to convert an old thermostat to a new one? 7 whire harness with colors, Orange (O), Yellow (Y), Black (X2), White (W or U), Red (R), Brown (T), Green (G). New has S1, S2, RC, R, O/B, Y, G, C

Installing noma digital thermostat [ 4 Answers ]

Hi - I am having difficulty replacing my old thermostat with a Noma brand programmable thermostat. The old thermostat - an old manual mercury type - is connected to 5 wires labelled on the circuit board as G, R, Y, W, and 4. it looks very much like the model shown on this website: ...

6 wire AC/Heater to 5 Wire thermostat [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Coleman BRCS0301BB AC and a gas based heting unit. I see 6 wires coming up to the thermosat - Red Blue White Yellow Green Brown

Wiring a 2 wire thermostat to a 4 wire system [ 1 Answers ]

I have a gas furnace equipped with central air.The compressor is shot in the AC unit,and I needed to replace the thermostat so I bought a heating only thermostat.I have the blower and the w wires together on the w terminal designation and the rh on the r terminal designation, and I have the y wire...

Need help with wiring a Honeywell T8011 Digital Thermostat [ 4 Answers ]

I bought the 'T8011R1006' programmable Digital Thermostat to replace my existing 'T874R1822', Analog Thermostat that controls a 2-Stage Heating and 1-Stage Cooling Electric Heatpump, The Sub-base model of the existing thermostat is 'Q674L1710'. The volts going into the thermostat is 24V. The...

View more questions Search