Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xanadu71 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2009, 06:01 AM
    Hot Water Low Pressure Entire House
    I purchased my home 1 year ago and it is 6 years old. About 3 days ago, I noticed the hot water coming out of all faucets has low pressure. I checked the hot water heater valve and it is completely open. I'm sure there is build up of hard water (since our water is very hard) somewhere but was wondering if there was something simple I could check before I call a plumber. Thank you for any advise.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 4, 2009, 06:20 AM
    Do you have heat trap nipples,(see image) installed? Regards, tom

Aug 4, 2009, 07:00 AM
    Gosh I don't know. Where would I look for something like that? I'm not great at things like this so if you could tell me, I will run downstairs and check. Thank you Tom
    Dawn
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 4, 2009, 07:04 AM
    Hi Dawn,
    You'll find them on top of the heater coming out of the cold and hot inlets. Regards, tom

Aug 5, 2009, 06:52 AM
    Hello Tom,
    I finally had a chance to look and yes, those are on the hot and cold inlets. Can't wait to hear more!

Thank you,
    Dawn
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 5, 2009, 07:07 AM
    Swap the heat trap nipples out for brass nipples of the same size and see if that doesn't bring the ptressure back up. Don't forget to wrap the threads in Teflon Tape. Good luck, tom

Aug 13, 2009, 11:27 AM
    Low hot water pressure in entire house
    I received information from a nice man on this site regarding replacement of some type of metal coupler things atop the hot water heater from metal to copper. I have no idea how to install these items or shut off water, gas, or any other installation process. I don't know exactly the names of the items he suggested I replace and am willing to do it however; I just need a little help in the safe removal and installation process. Any assistance would be appreciated. Additionally... what size are they suppose to be?
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 13, 2009, 12:21 PM
    Well here I am back again. I went back in time and retrieved your original question. Dawn, You will need soldering skills and equipment to replace the heat trap nipples with 3/4" brass ones. You would have to cut the hot and cold copper adapters on top of the tank and remove the old nipples and replace with brass ones. You would then have to solder back the cut lines using 3/4" copper couplings. Would you be up to this? Before we go any farther go down to the heater and whack those nipples to see if you can break something loose. I really don't know if those nipples are bad but it's the first place I'd start looking.
    We might do away with the solder joints if we use SharkBite Couplings. But you'll still need tools to complete the job. Let me know what you want to do. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low hot water pressure - entire house [ 2 Answers ]

I've read many of the other posts, and I'm somewhat re-assured that I'm not the only one having problems with hot water pressure. For confirmation, here's my problem: I have a standard gas hot water heater in my basement; throughout the entire house my hot water pressure has recently dropped...

Very Low Hot Water Pressure in entire house [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: Please Help!! I have very very low hot water pressure in my whole house. I have flushed out my hot water heater and it came gushing out clear from the bottom of my hot water heater. I had a friend’s Dad come over and he tried something things to rule out possibilities. He took the...

Low water pressure to entire house [ 12 Answers ]

My house was built in 86, I have lived here since 2001 and have had awesome water pressure throughout the house until now. On Saturday I noticed that water pressure was not as strong as it usually is. By end of day today, I cannot run my dishwasher or washer machine and very little water comes...

No hot water pressure in the entire house [ 2 Answers ]

I have no hot water pressure in the entire house... all sinks tubs and showers... We have city water so there is no pump involved. We have a 40gal tank, the top pipes are appropriately cold and hot to the touch. Upon turning on the hot water faucet just a trickle comes out then stops... ...

No hot water pressure in entire house [ 1 Answers ]

We lost hot water pressure in our entire home a few weeks ago. Cold water is full pressure, just hot is not. We can barely even run a shower. The entire house has no hot water pressure. We need to try something. Does anyone have any suggestions.

View more questions Search